Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Remember "That" Black Sea Bass? - Charges Filed

Ok fair enough.

I agree but this is what it says on DFAG's webcite

"Fishing Information: There has been a moratorium, which will probably last many years, on landing giant sea bass in California. All fish must be returned alive to the water (fish was returned alive to the water based on the video). Occasionally, fish taken by anglers will "float" (yup, it floated to the surface alright) to the surface as their gas bladders expand. They may be returned by carefully inserting a hypodermic needle through the side of the fish into the gas bladder and allowing the air to escape. Please be aware that it is illegal to take or possess giant sea bass."
    http://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/mspcont9.asp

There are many people who have taken Giant sea bass out of the water and taken pictures and then send it back floating. And to the majority of the anglers its a no no but many do it. If you have a Giant sea bass the consensus is to retrieve line unhook and release fish. It sounds simple enough but we've all encountered a difficult release or two.

No doubt this dude story smells like rotten fish. From the looks of things he new where he was fishing, he used a wire leader and some heavy line. For all we know he might have diver friends that told him theres a spot there that you can catch a giant sea bass.

But based on the DFAG's page he has a shot of getting off the hook from my reading and interpretation of it.

My thing is, this dude no matter how bad he may be, killed 1 giant sea bass. and yes 1 dead sea bass is 1 dead sea bass and he violated the law period, OK. ...

But we would still be catching sea bass today if it was not for the commerical fisheries. Do you really think DFAG was set up to prevent the rod and reel anglers from destroying the fish population and to preserve the fisheries for future? I dont think so but thats just me.

Is the court gona make an example out of this guy? maybe.

My point is everyones panties is getting bunched up for 1 dead giant sea bass when tons of bycatch is killed by commercial guys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiT3y...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksa6-...eature=related

And the oil thing? there are more animals dieing because of the commercial oil industry to probably killing more fish and other animals for years to come.

DFAG was set up to preserve our wild life for future generations that commercial guys lobbied to restrict rod and reel anglers to certain fishing. They are supposed to prevent people from catching and selling their catch for profit because if they didnt it would hurt the commercial fisheries. if you sold a fish to some one for cheaper then the commercial guys get less of a cut of the profit because that will be one less dead fish for them to make money on.

Any how based on the language of the DFAG web page.

defendant has a good shot of getting off.
    Last edited by Lightline; 06-21-2010 at 01:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gavin310 View Post
    I'm only saying this to protect the BSB, not for the sake of the fisherman, but I think signs should be posted on the piers with a picture of a BSB and include instructions on how to release it safely. That way no fisherman could play dumb and more BSB would make it out alive from this type of situation.
    I agree with that one.

i guess no one not even DFAG would have imagine that a Giant sea bass would be caught on a pier now a days. They were probably shocked when they saw a guy catch a giant sea bass off a pier.

And they had to react because they had to many people calling in and reporting about the youtube video. They had no choice but to enforce the regs or at least try to.

Their under-man no doubt and that is why they spend most of their time going after bigger true poachers. Poachers who Catch and kill game for a PROFIT!

Good call with the signs, thats a great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by smokehound View Post
    Good call with the signs, thats a great idea.
    Too many signs already. Know the rules or pay the fines.
    DFG rules and regs book is free and has almost a whole page on BSB.
    Even a dumbass flipping through it can't miss it.

DR

UPDATE: Pre-trail will start August 23, 2010 @ 8:30 a.m. courtroom H13

Both charged with T14/28.10(a) CR Unlawful possession of Black Sea Bass

Jonathan Paul Apothaker & John Francis Brady both pleaded not guilty

Orange county court case number 10HM04414

Thanks for the Update Danny, can't wait to see how the trial goes.

We require the services of judge Dredd for this one...

I AM THE LAW.

Quote Originally Posted by smokehound View Post
    We require the services of judge Dredd for this one...

I AM THE LAW.
    You can't forget about "The Law Giver"

the way that poor fish was handled was very poor and these guys do deserve to be punished. They both also claimed the fish didn't look like a BSB to either of them!!! WTF do they not have eyes? It looks like the only fish it could be and that is a giant BSB!!! The fact that they put all those hooks in it's mouth to try and beach it proves they were gonna try to keep it. I'm sure they decided otherwise once someone on the beach told them "Hey that is a BSB!"

The right thing to do would of been to cut your line or have the guy on the boat cut it and pull the hooks if possible. If not then they would of rusted out eventually an that beautiful fish would still be swimming around.

Light liner you seem to be caught up in other things. Watch the videos of them dropping all those grappling hooks in that poor fish's mouth so they could drag it to the beach!!!! They F'ed themselves and deserve to be punished for their actions.

Being a angler it is your responsibility to know the rules and regulations for the areas that you fish. If you don't know then guess what you will get in trouble if the DFG stops by to check on ya. I also agree that anyone who fishes should hold a valid fishing license so that way they can not play ignorance when caught doing something illegal. When you sign that FL you are saying you know and understand the rules and regulations for where you expect to fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Lopez View Post
    the way that poor fish was handled was very poor and these guys do deserve to be punished. They both also claimed the fish didn't look like a BSB to either of them!!! WTF do they not have eyes? It looks like the only fish it could be and that is a giant BSB!!! The fact that they put all those hooks in it's mouth to try and beach it proves they were gonna try to keep it. I'm sure they decided otherwise once someone on the beach told them "Hey that is a BSB!"

The right thing to do would of been to cut your line or have the guy on the boat cut it and pull the hooks if possible. If not then they would of rusted out eventually an that beautiful fish would still be swimming around.

Light liner you seem to be caught up in other things. Watch the videos of them dropping all those grappling hooks in that poor fish's mouth so they could drag it to the beach!!!! They F'ed themselves and deserve to be punished for their actions.

Being a angler it is your responsibility to know the rules and regulations for the areas that you fish. If you don't know then guess what you will get in trouble if the DFG stops by to check on ya. I also agree that anyone who fishes should hold a valid fishing license so that way they can not play ignorance when caught doing something illegal. When you sign that FL you are saying you know and understand the rules and regulations for where you expect to fish.

Don't forget Dumbass Jon says he tried to release as quick as possible ?
    After posing for multiple pics while it was gasping

Jon Apothaker Your going down
    DR

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234