Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you hook a live cricket?

Default How do you hook a live cricket?

I could use a little direction on how to hook a cricket properly without killing it so that it will swim. A dead cricket does me no good. I wanna try to catch some bass that way. I have a little wonder about this.

pictures would be great but who takes pictures of a step by step process to hook a cricket.....just saying

thanks

you would be better off flyfishing with dry flies. If you use small insects, all you will catch will be mostly bluegills, dink bass.

(or catfish and trout when planted)

For trout fishing I have always used a very small single hook (a small salmon egg hook works well for this as opposed to a J hook) and hooked grasshoppers or larger crickets in the meat of the leg. You can also run the hook up under the wings and through the wing to also keep them alive. The key is to gingerly cast it so the cricket floats and vibrates on the water. I fish them with either a very light cork or very small clear plastic bubble and long leader line. Makes for a great middle of the day summer bait for trout when you don't feel like pitching spinners anymore.

Actual spider silk can help improve buoyancy.

IMHO a fly and bubble would probably be easier to fish and just as wfective as a live circket. I've found live crickets to be pretty fragile... if you are commited to bait, a large grasshoppers tend to stay on the hook better.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyKiller View Post
    hey bro, there s an easy way.
    use a slightly smaller hook than if you were directly hooking thru a cricket. Say a size 10 moquito hook. touch a dab on 99 cent store crazy glue on the shank. count to 5 and press the cricket on the hook. count down the drying time. ive done this, and it's bonkers! great for catching lizards and frogs too
    lol are you serious??? ha

use a slightly smaller hook than if you were directly hooking thru a cricket. Say a size 10 moquito hook. touch a dab on 99 cent store crazy glue on the shank. count to 5 and press the cricket on the hook. count down the drying time. ive done this, and it's bonkers! great for catching lizards and frogs too
    Wow just superglue the thing on that is absolutely brilliant I must try now

instert the small bait hook on the under side just below the head run hook thru the center of the cricket and pop it out down at his butt,that way the majority of the hook is in side him ,that way you can fish stream river or lake, mr brownie loves it,,,,,,,,

Dude, thats pretty game changing... I'm going to try that soon.

hot damn! totally makes sense too!! they have a tough exoskeleton to protect them.. kinda like armor.. so its going to be solid... i'll be selling bottles of supeglue at the lake! relabeled as Cricket Stick-it! (trademark and copyrights are pending) LOL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast