Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Rattlesnakes out and about but sluggish, watch out & Stream Fishing report

Default Rattlesnakes out and about but sluggish, watch out & Stream Fishing report

Went fishing this weekend up in the San Bernardino mountains this weekend and ran into 2 rattlesnakes while fishing in so many hours.

Both were sluggish and slow laying across paths amidst thick brush. I nearly stepped on one before he moved and I noticed him. And his head swung around to grab me. None of the snakes I encountered gave any indication they were there before I was right on top of them.

Ran into several other fishermen and waders who reported snake encounters throughout. Please be careful out there folks, without warning, these guys are extremely dangerous.

By the way, my fishing report is...

The fishing was slow for stockers as the last local stocking was for the big memorial day weekend.

I caught around 10 wild rainbow trout (browns & rainbow) on a dry fly. All were between 4-8 inches and released.

The trout refused a size 12 Pale Morning Dun, but loved a size 14 Elf Hair Caddis. 6-7X Tippet did the trick, anything bigger wasn't necessary.

The takes were violent and greedy for the most part. The fish were scattered and some sizable wilds were in shallow runs on feeding lanes not in the bigger pools.

- Best of luck!

Thanks for the heads up bro...that would SUCK!!!!!Ive been watchin my step around Silverwood lately , havent seen any but Ive heard about plenty of sightings this season.

Appreciate the report. Not sure what gives with the lack of stocking up in the San Bernardino Mountains. The Sierra streams are being stocked on a weekly basis while down south here, a very popular stream gets zilch for three weeks -go figure.
    What really puzzles me is that Secombe Lake and Mojave Narrows are scheduled for plants this week even though the temperatures have been in the mid 90s.

Thanks for the heads up.We where heading to deep creek or SAR for our anniversary.I think we will stick to BBL till them snakes warm up lol.

Why would they stock a hot pond?????? makes no sense to me.

That's good information thanks for the heads up.

Give a rattlesnake just a few minutes in the sun and he"ll be lightning fast.

I just treat them all as if they're lightning fast.