Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fun with the Lifeguards at Castaic 6/14/2010

Default Fun with the Lifeguards at Castaic 6/14/2010

Went to Castaic with my family yesterday.

I went down to the buoy line on the left to anchor up. As I was setting the first anchor in deep water a couple speed boats came racing through between the people anchored on the point and a guy in a bass boat who was tied up on the point. They came around again and I waved them off and let them know that I was anchoring up, there on the point.

This point is at the end of the buoy line. It's the point that you are not permitted to navigate beyond.

I set anchor. One out in deep water and one up on the point. My anchor lines are bright yellow and I pull the one on the point up so that it's clearly visible. As I was putting my poles out one of the of the ski boats came around and cut my anchor line. My anchor went flying up in the air and into the water. They knew that they had cut my anchor rope they were looking back at me and they stopped to check their boat for damage.

As I was calling the Lifeguards on the cell phone one of the Lifeguard boats came around the point down near Slalom Cove. So I flagged them down. By the time they got down to where I was my boat had swung way off shore from I had been. I was in 80 feet of water on the end of the point which is a cliff and I wound up out in 120 feet three or four times farther from shore.

I said to the Lifeguards, "See that red boat with the red striped Bimini top? They just cut my anchor line.

So this Lady Lifeguards starts lecturing me on how I can safely anchor without obstructing boating traffic. Please note that boating traffic is not permitted in that location. I asked what the legal limits were on the restrictions she was requiring of me and the other Lifeguard "The Blond Guy." acknowledged that there were none. She went on and on about her opinion of safe anchoring practice until I finally told her that it was her opinion and I'm not interested in her opinion.

This is dumb. The Lifeguards didn't make any attempt to let these people know that what they were doing was against the rules or unsafe. They just began making up special rules for me, to protect people who are breaking the law from my legal actions.

Maybe they didn't understand that we had been up closer to the point when they cut our anchor line.

I pulled anchor and went to see if I could retrieve my other anchor but it was nowhere to be found.

I went down the lake to see if I could find the boat to ask him to pay for my lost anchor. As I past the Lifeguards the Lady just shrugged her shoulders. I guess they didn't even try to talk with the guy.

I never found the boat. I guess the guy bailed when he saw me talking to the LifeGuard.

I'll post the fishing report in that section.
    http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/sho...142#post465142
    Last edited by fishinone; 06-14-2010 at 10:45 AM.

how did your anchor come out of the water if you were in 80 ft?

Quote Originally Posted by FishermanStu View Post
    how did your anchor come out of the water if you were in 80 ft?
    My anchor was on the point with the rope suspended out of the water so it is visible.
    Last edited by fishinone; 06-14-2010 at 11:14 AM.

Hey Ron, what unprofessional of them that was of them to act like you were in the wrong, sucks

Quote Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
    Hey Ron, what unprofessional of them that was of them to act like you were in the wrong, sucks
    Hey Alex,

I was trying to reason with her at first but she just didn't seem to want to understand that it's silly to require me not to interfere with illigal boating activity. I wound up running her off just to get her away from me.

I've been trying to understand her point of view. I guess I just dissagree.

I can stay off of the freeway to avoid speeders but what about the surface streets?

I can stay out of banks to avoid bank robbers but they put banks in supermarkets. I kind of need to go there, once in a while at least.

If I were to comply with her imagined rules, how would I predict what rule she will imagine next?

Ron

That totally sucks Ron. I got my fair share of lake lice antics this year and it is not even summer yet.

Quote Originally Posted by marzocchi View Post
    That totally sucks Ron. I got my fair share of lake lice antics this year and it is not even summer yet.
    I'm used to the clueless boaters but I expect a little more from the Lifeguards.

Ahhhh, good ol' Castaic lifeguards....or as I call them...Asstaic lifeguards. Theyre always giving fishermen hard times. Even though we consistently throughout the year keep their paychecks coming. Couple of the older ones are cool but the young ones, the kids, are Aholes to the max. They're just young kids with a yellow boat underneath them so they think they're cool. Too much power trip by those kids. It's like, calm the freak down, you're just a damn lifeguard, and not even a good one at that, I've never actually see them guarding anyones life. Just giving fishermen hard times,,,eff em. Keep on fishing! Slay Slay Slay!!
    Last edited by Eat Sleep Fish; 06-14-2010 at 04:21 PM.

i can understand how you feel, but generally their pretty good at keeping the idiots under control... i know the girl that your speaking of, and pretty much know all the guards... and they all are pretty cool, compaired to the guards at puddingstone.... in fact i have seen them on MANY occasions issue violations to boaters... today i broke down back in dry gulch, and asked a fellow bass angler if he could give me a tow, and he said he would call the guards for me... thanks bud, karma's a b*tch.. so i trolled to old s.s. cove and ran into john the senior lifeguard, they towed me back, on the way in, we saw some skiers going the wrong direction, and they got on the radio and had the other lifeguard boat go issue a warning....when we got to the dock john drove me to my truck to get my trailer, and helped me load it on i feel your pain, but i have had nothing but GOOD experiences with the castaic guards... the lake sheriff's well their another story...
    Last edited by kaneo; 06-14-2010 at 04:23 PM. Reason: spelling

i would have asked them to have the lake patrol come over. the lifegaurds are a waste of taxpayers money. Usually a great job for the lifegaurd, because they just lounge in the sun all day and work on there tan.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast