Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie float tube questions??

Default Newbie float tube questions??

I am looking to get a float tube, since I've been a shore fisherman my whole life. What are the CA regulations on float tubes. The last thing I need is a huge ticket from a warden. Do you need a permit? Can you only launch from a ramp? Are you required to wear a safety vest? Anything else?

You don't need a permit to fish from a tube. Although, some lakes do require you to pay a launch fee. From my experience, you should call the lake you intend to fish and ask where you are able to launch from in a tube. Most lakes I know, you can launch just about anywhere it is safe to do so. You aren't required to wear a PFD, but it must be readily accessible. I just throw mine in the the back of my Fishcat. Also, you will need a whistle or some kind of noise maker. You'd be surprised to know how many people in boats don't pay enough attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Socal Bassman View Post
    You don't need a permit to fish from a tube. Although, some lakes do require you to pay a launch fee. From my experience, you should call the lake you intend to fish and ask where you are able to launch from in a tube. Most lakes I know, you can launch just about anywhere it is safe to do so. You aren't required to wear a PFD, but it must be readily accessible. I just throw mine in the the back of my Fishcat. Also, you will need a whistle or some kind of noise maker. You'd be surprised to know how many people in boats don't pay enough attention.
    you are right about the boaters not seeing you,becareful,always be on a look out.

You must have a PFD that is accessible.
    You must have a "noise maker", ie whistle or air horn.
    I believe you must carry a "landing device", ie a net, even if you C&R.
    Some lakes are "non-contact". This means you must wear a wader to float tube. Irvine Lake is like this. It's due to the fact that the water there is for drinking. Others you can tube in a swimsuit.
    There's no special permit needed to fish from a float tube.
    As stated earlier, check with the lake you're planning on going to.

Welcome to the world of float tubing.

Use the bathroom before you tube.

Thanks guys for the info, I really appreciate it. The closest lakes to me that allow float tubes are Castaic lagoon and Lake Isabella. At pay lakes do you have to pay extra to launch a float tube?

Quote Originally Posted by BakoBigMike View Post
    Thanks guys for the info, I really appreciate it. The closest lakes to me that allow float tubes are Castaic lagoon and Lake Isabella. At pay lakes do you have to pay extra to launch a float tube?
    Usually a Lincoln.

Irvine charges a $5 fee to launch a float tube. Not sure of other lakes.

YOU'LL FIND ALL THE INFO ON THE WEBSITE: http://www.castaiclake.com/index.html
    THIS INCLUDES HOURS OF OPERATION PARKING FEES, LAUNCHING FEES. THE LAGOON IS $7 TO LAUCH ANY WATERCRAFT THOUGH AND THOUGH MANY PEOPLE DON'T KNOW OR CARE..."THE WEARING OF A PFD IS REQUIRED". (FROM THE RULES & REGS PAGE sub-SECTION FLOAT TUBES). FYI: I'VE BEEN OUT ENOUGH FOR SOME OF THE LIFEGUARDS TO RECOGNIZE ME AND I HAVE BEEN WARNED (i USE AN SOSPENDERS PFD).
    LW.
    Last edited by Liteweight; 06-12-2010 at 04:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Liteweight View Post
    YOU'LL FIND ALL THE INFO ON THE WEBSITE: http://www.castaiclake.com/index.html
    THIS INCLUDES HOURS OF OPERATION PARKING FEES, LAUNCHING FEES. THE LAGOON IS $7 TO LAUCH ANY WATERCRAFT THOUGH AND THOUGH MANY PEOPLE DON'T KNOW OR CARE..."THE WEARING OF A PFD IS REQUIRED". (FROM THE RULES & REGS PAGE sub-SECTION FLOAT TUBES). FYI: I'VE BEEN OUT ENOUGH FOR SOME OF THE LIFEGUARDS TO RECOGNIZE ME AND I HAVE BEEN WARNED (i USE AN SOSPENDERS PFD).
    LW.
    It says on the paper they hand to you, as you are entering the park that a PFD must be carried and says nothing about being worn. They have a few conflicting thing on the paper and the website though. I think there is only one lifeguard that says you have to wear your PFD and all of the rest say you just have to have it with you. I wear mine either way though because it is a good idea. Liteweight, how come I haven't seen you out there before? Or have I?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast