Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Any info on Big Bear Lake?

Default Any info on Big Bear Lake?

Heading out to Big Bear Lake Sunday-Wednesday this week and was wondering if anyone could give me some tips and spots that i should be checking out while i'm there with the crew. We'll be fishing boat and shore so any help would be great. All fish will be CPR'd as usual so do not worry about fish being killed.

Thanks in advance for any info/help.

Trout and bass have been tough again this year - for me at least

Sometimes the Observatory pays off - generally for trollers who've got it dialed-in. I think slow w/ 3-4 colors and needle-fish w/ various colors is what others have been saying works. If the winds are low, try anchoring just past the observatory point and throw everything you got - but especially powerbait floating up from a sliding egg sinker on the bottom.

Trolling Trout Triangle sounds like the best bet. I think fish are still a little deeper (15-20?) but some electronics might help a lot. Don't get fooled by lots of fish near the top - probably carp - and there are a lot of croppy again that probably show on a finder. Try lots of different depths and lures at the same time. I've seen a few people successful drifting when the winds pick-up.

Personally I've only been picking up croppy lately while tubing near the observatory - good enough, but not the good trout or bass fights I'm really looking for.

I think shoreline floating powerbait a couple feet from the bottom is still working, but you gotta find a productive area. I think others on the board know much better shore spots than I do.

You probably know all this already, but hopefully a good summary will result in success. I wanna see more catching and less fishing from someone this year!!!

Please report back with what works and what were the conditions - It may help us all.

I can't get up there this weekend, but should be next.

Cheers and tight-lines!

ET

Trolling between grout bay and the dam helped my little brother and i reach our limits. From shore by the dam. Fish powerbait with a bobber on a slip rig. If you dont know what that is you can go into town to any tackle shop and they will explain it to you. sorry about the late reply if you already left.

No luck with trout the whole trip, but wide open on Bullheads and Carp. Caught bass fishing structure in Grout Bay on Jerks/Spinnerbaits. Not as much bass fishing as i hoped but was fun overall.