Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How To: Getting your Significant Other to "Fish with You"

Default How To: Getting your Significant Other to "Fish with You"

The trick(s) to getting your significant other to fish with you is; To carry a backpack FULL OF SNACKS and to make FREQUENT RESTROOM STOPS (yes, Frequent).

Then PROMISE to take them to either a) Mall of their Choice or b) Outlet of their choice. Followed by dinner at a restaurant of her choosing (be ready to spend the big bucks)

Works every time, although I'm starting to think it's really not worth it (just kidding honey.....).

P.S: Catching fish helps, if you get skunked....don't expect her to want to go backl

Feel free to chime in with some other suggestions, I'm interested in hearing some of the other ideas floating around.

Other Suggested Tips:
    • Bring Booze
    • Group outings (Bring other couples)
    • Take Pictures for Facebook
    • *Keep the trips short*
    • Let her drive the boat (do not mention sea sickness)
    • Don't worry about "you" catching fish
    • Make the day about them and help them get on fish. Fishing should be fun!
    • Leave the kids at home

Quote Originally Posted by madwire3 View Post
    It's much easier when they want to go everytime, but then it gets harder to just Fish with the Guys and only the guys......"be back later honey, gonna go help Dave rebuild his carb" (quote edited for flare)

P.S.S: *I love fishing with my fiancee, so I am in no way trying to put anyone off from the idea*

Some inspiration:
    Last edited by Swank909; 06-04-2010 at 11:49 PM.

Bring booze.

much easier when they want to go everytime, but then its harder for "fishin with the guys" and only the guys,, ......"be back later gonna go help dave rebuild his carb" .... yeah messy

Surf fishing always works for me if I want to take a girl fishing in the summer. Use Gulp (you have to touch it), and find a nice trench stacked with perch and let them catch them to their heart's content. Unhook everything, tie all the knots, and deal with all the issues. The point now is for her to catch fish, not to become a fisherwoman. If she's done after one fish, accept it and enjoy the day at the beach with an attractive girl.

The other way I have found is to call up all your friends that like the beach/surf fishing and organize a shark fishing trip from the beach. Have everybody else bring their GFs too so all the GFs can talk and hang out while the guys fish. After you beach a few rays or sharks, start calling the girls once you hook another one and let them take turns fighting it for however long they want. Leopard sharks and big bat rays make great facebook pix. Bring a lot of food down too and make an event out of it. That way if the sharks don't show, you had a good beach party.

Basically, rather than make a rewards system, I've found that it's a lot better to integrate fishing with another fun activity so you can ditch fishing if it's not productive (ie boring). Also, focus solely on your GF/wife catching fish. The best trips I've found have the girl I'm with telling her friends "I had a great day at the beach, and I even caught a few fish." Fishing trips come later, so remember to keep it a fun/quick extra with another activity.

i got my girl to go out on the monark with me,never did i mention the seasick word.let her drive out of the harbor and dropped off a couple of hoop nets for some crab.baited,knotted,and cast,and took the fish of the hook took pics.fed her and pulled nets for some crab.i told her when she is ready to go let me know and we will leave.she out fished me 10-3.and also used ghost shrimp,which is crack on the wall.she had a blast,and then i became the man of the year (again).cause i put her on fish!thats how you do it.

Quote Originally Posted by madwire3 View Post
    much easier when they want to go everytime, but then its harder for "fishin with the guys" and only the guys,, ......"be back later gonna go help dave rebuild his carb" .... yeah messy
    hahahahahahahaha, so true......

Quote Originally Posted by fisherman from long beach View Post
    i got my girl to go out on the monark with me,never did i mention the seasick word.let her drive out of the harbor and dropped off a couple of hoop nets for some crab.baited,knotted,and cast,and took the fish of the hook took pics.fed her and pulled nets for some crab.i told her when she is ready to go let me know and we will leave.she out fished me 10-3.and also used ghost shrimp,which is crack on the wall.she had a blast,and then i became the man of the year (again).cause i put her on fish!thats how you do it.
    You're definately man of the year material. Can't say my husband has ever had a problem getting me out to fish or going out with the guys when he wants too. If you have a spouse that doesn't enjoy it, I think the best thing you can do is make the day about them and help them get on fish. Fishing should be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Granny Fish View Post
    You're definately man of the year material. Can't say my husband has ever had a problem getting me out to fish or going out with the guys when he wants too. If you have a spouse that doesn't enjoy it, I think the best thing you can do is make the day about them and help them get on fish. Fishing should be fun.
    thank you very much,i appreciate it.matter of fact she asked me when are we gonna go again.love it.

Quote Originally Posted by fisherman from long beach View Post
    she out fished me 10-3.and also used ghost shrimp
    the only bad thing about such a great day was getting your butt kicked by your girl fishing...lol

man i swear it happens to me everytime i take my girl fishing and im a good fisherman too....

it just seems that all my skillz disappear and magicaly are with her these trips...lol

Yea she beats me, ....but I let her *cough* *cough* (My girl is notorious for doubling my fish count)

You too, right Alex? We let them win to build onto the idea of fun fishing! ....yea that's it....
    Last edited by Swank909; 06-03-2010 at 12:08 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast