Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Lake Oneil Campin with the Fam

Default Lake Oneil Campin with the Fam

Took a two day camp trip out at Camp Pendleton Lake Oneil. Set up camp along the row of campsites near the water last friday, was pretty bumed when my wife text me that the water has dropped so much. The lake is not all that deep, some structure around some places around the lake but the perimeter is a bass haven, with so much cover. That was all exposed, the fish were all up chasing and eating what you can present them. It was a fun trip with fam and friends, everyone had landed something. My son got spooled on 4lb test it looked like a big carp, but he was bummed he lost a bigun, thats fishing I told him. Enjoy the pics.

Water level down the first two days we were there. They started letting water in on Sunday after a valve repair.

View from the campsite:

Panfish all day long, check out the lilly pads and cover behind my son.

Afternoon topwater took off, my bud with a green fish:

On a rapala, CPR'rd

We did see some Crappie landed, no Cats. It was pretty fun out there with the docks all dryed up, folks were walking around the lake and landing fish.

Good job out there Vince!
    It always great to spend time with friends & family.

KPN.

congrats on the good fishing and the family outing .

Thanks for the report. Nice catch.

Where is Lake Oneil?

Quote Originally Posted by fishinone View Post
    Thanks for the report. Nice catch.

Where is Lake Oneil?
    Small Lake with Camping/RV on Camp Pendleton Marine Corp base off of Vandegrift Road. We try to make it our there 1-2x per year. I'll be there for the 4thJul, when the water level is up there are limited places to shore fish, so we will probably launch the rig.

Vince

Quote Originally Posted by GdHkSet1 View Post
    Small Lake with Camping/RV on Camp Pendleton Marine Corp base off of Vandegrift Road. We try to make it our there 1-2x per year. I'll be there for the 4thJul, when the water level is up there are limited places to shore fish, so we will probably launch the rig.

Vince
    I was going to ask if its teh same spot. How do you get access to camp there?

Quote Originally Posted by HEMAN View Post
    I was going to ask if its teh same spot. How do you get access to camp there?
    Hey HEMAN,

Campground on the base is open to Active, Reserve, Retired. Non-mil friends can camp with the folks who reserve a camp spot. The base also has Game Wardens, where you can get an annual permit to fish pretty cheap I think 5 bones for the year.