Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where should I go Camping/Fishing?

Default Where should I go Camping/Fishing?

First camping trip with family. I live in Corona. Will be tent camping. Hoping for facilities that have a shower and decent fishing. It will be hot this weekend so I am figuring mountains. Want to drive maximum 1.5 hrs. Idylwild? Thanks for your help.

Big Bear Lake, Serrano campsite go to "Reserve America" might be some spots available or try Pineknot campsite in Big Bear.

call a ranger station for san bernardino nat'l forest and ask about yellow post sites. They are free to camp at and are never crowded. Some require a 4x4 some don't, most rangers will let you know. Last time I camped at Kennedy meadows in sequoia nat'l forest we camped 20 feet from the kern river and didn't pay for a single night. Most times all you need to do is get a fire permit form the closest fire/ranger station. Or if you have blm maps you can camp on any blm land free, however this is a bit more primitive camping as there are no bathrooms or running water of course. Just watch where you pitch the tent, some ppl have been swept away by pitching in a wash.

towards the bottom of the page after all the campground names is the info on yellow post sites.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sanbernardin...ation/camping/
    Last edited by elevated; 06-02-2010 at 11:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NamedafterMcKay View Post
    First camping trip with family. I live in Corona. Will be tent camping. Hoping for facilities that have a shower and decent fishing. It will be hot this weekend so I am figuring mountains. Want to drive maximum 1.5 hrs. Idylwild? Thanks for your help.
    Its a longshot but try Silverwood lake. I love that spot.

i've done Mojave River Forks, which is about 3 miles from teh dam at silverwood.cheaper than silverwood,and not that bad of a spot! took the family up to lake gregory and we had no choice but to stay at Camp Switzerland. hey, if you can do without a campfire and resist howling at the moon after 10pm,then i reccomend this place.it's walking distance to the lake.and if you catch it in a good time where they opened the gates to fill the creek that runs thru the entire campgrounds,then you can fish from your site! owner told me a few storms ago he NETTED a 20 in brown! and resisted keeping about 10-15 more +16 in trout, which they dumped into the lake instead. if you go, try and get sites #25-#27!! 27 is huge! and all three are at the very bottom/end of grounds.plenty of room to throw some horseshoes!!!

Skinner is nice, but it's very flat out there.. but its quiet and nice fishing, no recreational boats there.

Lake Hemet is good for a first time trip. Has Showers, Bathrooms, Kids playground and a general store real close by, because if its the first trip you will find you forgot something for sure. Weather should break soon and the nights not to cold. Have fun where ever you go.

Id go to Big Bear if i were you... The weather will be great and you can rent boats at most of the marinas and have a good day trout fishing.. Also for the kids, they have the zoo which is cool. AND they also have Alpine Slide....which is fun too...
    Just remember to use the brakes on the sled and not crash like i did the last time I was there...OOOUUUCHHHH!!! that sucked...hahaha I was racing a buddy down and treid to go WFO the whole way, no brakes...I didnt make it!! lol

Pete

haha same thing happened to me this winter on those alpine slides. I ended up slamming into the back of my daughters tobagon thingy at the bottom and hurt the both of us. I did make it that far without hitting the brakes though. The guy at the top that lets you go said I should have enough room to not run into her, but she rode the brakes to hard. lesson learned.

Dude I was two turns from the end going WAAAYYY to fast and coming around the turn I was riding to high on the wall when the wall ran out and I FLEW in the air sideways and my sled flew off the track...lol I slide about 20ft dragging my arms to stop and my left arm had serious road rash bleeding everywhere... It hurt like a bad burn but my ego was hurt worse...I was so embarrased because it happened right under the chair lift so everyone saw it all...lol ...I hurried and grabbed my sled and jumped back on and rode the rest of the way down bleeding ...lol..I went to the first aid room and they said it happens a few times a week...But that didnt help my ego...hahahahahhaha Go big or stay home is my moto... I race motocross and have since I was 10 and Ive never been that humiliated after a crash.....lol GOOD TIMES!!!!

Pete

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast