Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anchor Help, which kind?

Mike,
    I dug out the old VHS tape that it is recorded on and I filmed my television showing the set-up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOlI9gy-sPo

Hopefully you get the idea of the set-up.

I'd use 3/8, 3 strand nylon rope
    As far as losing an anchor because it's stuck, look at the shoreline where you are about to anchor and if it is made up large rocks with lots of crevices, try to determine if where you are it's the same, think twice before dropping your anchor there.

Any questions, just ask,
    Scott

When I rent a boat/skiff I bring my "Chene" 4# anchor. It's a spade/fluke style w/4' of SS galvanized chain (for fishing the harbors). I've also used it on my PAC 800 (pontoon) when fishing larger lakes like Crowley or Bridgeport. If set properly the flukes will stick like cement in the bottom. It's also fairly easy to retrieve if caught by obstacle (like cables). Brought up a cable once (to within visible level) and was able to slide flukes back out (part of the design). If I ever bought a boat, I'd buy another one (for stern securement).
    LW.
    Last edited by Liteweight; 06-10-2010 at 02:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by IN2DEEP View Post
    Mike,
    I dug out the old VHS tape that it is recorded on and I filmed my television showing the set-up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOlI9gy-sPo

Hopefully you get the idea of the set-up.

I'd use 3/8, 3 strand nylon rope
    As far as losing an anchor because it's stuck, look at the shoreline where you are about to anchor and if it is made up large rocks with lots of crevices, try to determine if where you are it's the same, think twice before dropping your anchor there.

Any questions, just ask,
    Scott
    Thanks Scott, I never thought about going with a 4 anchor setup, sounds efficent but almost seems like over kill to me

Thanks again

BassnMan Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Bassnman Mike View Post
    Thanks Scott, I never thought about going with a 4 anchor setup, sounds efficent but almost seems like over kill to me

Thanks again

BassnMan Mike
    Depends on how serious you are about anchoring when the wind is up... and they were very serious about their anchoring
    The front anchor replaces the chain. A single anchor without chain or too short a chain will not hold very well.
    Good luck with your decision.

"Weigh the anchor! How much does the anchor weigh? I forgot ---You forgot!?"

---Cheech Marin

Not to thread jack but I used a claw for 5 years before I lost it yesterday in the rocks at Pyramid. I'll be buying another. I always doulbe anchor with a mushroom in the stern..I have a 17ft aluminum .

I use a fluke for all my anchoring needs, However this last winter, @ Cororona lake I was being blown off the lake with my tried and true anchor and chain setup. I noticed the rental boats use a bucket with cement and stayed put, even with (I'm guessing)20mph winds. That gave me an idea, for the next outing. I used a 25lbs. barbell weight and problem solved. The bottem is mainly mud. Has anyone used this method?

Quote Originally Posted by kelly k View Post
    I use a fluke for all my anchoring needs, However this last winter, @ Cororona lake I was being blown off the lake with my tried and true anchor and chain setup. I noticed the rental boats use a bucket with cement and stayed put, even with (I'm guessing)20mph winds. That gave me an idea, for the next outing. I used a 25lbs. barbell weight and problem solved. The bottem is mainly mud. Has anyone used this method?
    Google "drop-n-stay". Tons of reviews on this product out there on the various sites. I believe they only are rated for up to 22'. I got the double version and love it.

Check out the Richter anchors. I have the 18# version for my 18.5 ft. boat and it's the best anchor I ever used. They aren't cheap, but they work! What I liked best is that they are multi-purpose and work well on a variety of bottoms. For freshwater I don't think you can go wrong.

http://www.richteranchors.com/

For those who use galvanized chains do you have to use 1/4 inch or can you use 3/16ths inches??

MM

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast