Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anchor Help, which kind?

Thanks for all the information and links guys. From reading the article that Fisherman57 posted the link to I'm thinking I want the Navy Anchor because I do fish around rocksquite a bit and truth be told I'd be bummed if I had to cut it off because it got stuck.

However, does anyone know if the Navy anchor work OK in sand? Also, which weight should I get for a 21 foot bass boat?

Thanks again

BassnMan Mike
    Last edited by Bassnman Mike; 06-02-2010 at 04:22 PM.

I have a navy anchor also..Works real good..You will loose anchors from time to time..no getting around it. You can rig a "trip" on your anchor that may let you get it back if it's stuck. You weld a shackle to the bottom and that's where you hook the chain. Then run the chain up the shank any fasten the chain to the eye with somthing that will break like wire, wire ties or tuna cord.. If it get stuck you can hopefully break that wire link thus tripping the anchor and it comes loose. Pretty standard setup on a larger boat.. Check this link out.
    http://www.yachtandboat.com.au/page/..._articles.html

Quote Originally Posted by dixoncider View Post
    I have a navy anchor also..Works real good..You will loose anchors from time to time..no getting around it. You can rig a "trip" on your anchor that may let you get it back if it's stuck. You weld a shackle to the bottom and that's where you hook the chain. Then run the chain up the shank any fasten the chain to the eye with somthing that will break like wire, wire ties or tuna cord.. If it get stuck you can hopefully break that wire link thus tripping the anchor and it comes loose. Pretty standard setup on a larger boat.. Check this link out.
    http://www.yachtandboat.com.au/page/..._articles.html
    Thanks, I kinda figured I'd loose them from time to time, just dont want to loose 1 every trip, HA!
    Thanks again for the link on rigging the "trip", looks like a great ideal

get at least a 15lb navy anchor and you should be fine. i use a river style anchor i think its called for the rear and i think it is 15lbs too.

On the ocean make sure you can deploy your anchor in 30 seconds or less.
    Engine dies blowing towards the rocks fast. My anchor locker sucks. Who wants a anchor in a carpeted bunk area ? Nobody. Easy fix. Mounted the anchor on the bow rail. Rope goes in a milk crate with the chain on top.

Not pretty but it sure works good. No stinky chain in the cabin, easy to wash off, easy to deploy.

Quote Originally Posted by Marine_Michael View Post
    Buy galvanized or zink coated chain at Home Depot, 25' should be more than enough
    I wouldn't sleep with 25' of chain on a 21'. Good way to get on the rocks.

1 1/2 of the boat lenght. Got 35' on my 18' (21' overall) walk around.

When you go light on the chain it makes the anchor work more.
    Say bye bye to your new anchor (stuck)

Go 35' of chain for the ocean.

Check this site for chain lenght topics.

http://www.boatered.com/forum/topic....56087;�

DR

Years ago I remember seeing Danny Kadota on TV double anchoring at Castaic over one of the points and he used two navy anchors that were tied 2-3 ft. apart with the front one on a short piece of line and no chain. Stored it in a milk crate.

I think with the two anchors, chain is not needed.
    ...and much quieter when setting up

A couple of things to consider:

1- make a set-up (weight wise) that you will be able pull up hand-over-hand and not rub against the gunwale.

2- choose an anchor that won't ***%up your gelcoat when you bring it aboard. I think the Danforth type will cause the most scratching

If this set-up is of interest to you, let me know and I'll watch the video again and give you better detail of the set-up that Danny used.

Scott

All good points about anchors..If at some point you need your anchor to keep you off the rocks or some other hazard you may not care about some points like being quiet or gelcoat scratch on the topside..Just more to consider..It's all a trade off..You can always get by with way less most of the time..It's that one time that you really need it...

Quote Originally Posted by IN2DEEP View Post
    Years ago I remember seeing Danny Kadota on TV double anchoring at Castaic over one of the points and he used two navy anchors that were tied 2-3 ft. apart with the front one on a short piece of line and no chain. Stored it in a milk crate.

I think with the two anchors, chain is not needed.
    ...and much quieter when setting up

A couple of things to consider:

1- make a set-up (weight wise) that you will be able pull up hand-over-hand and not rub against the gunwale.

2- choose an anchor that won't ***%up your gelcoat when you bring it aboard. I think the Danforth type will cause the most scratching

If this set-up is of interest to you, let me know and I'll watch the video again and give you better detail of the set-up that Danny used.

Scott
    Scott,

Thanks, can you watch the video again and explain all the details?

BassnMan Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Bassnman Mike View Post
    Scott,

Thanks, can you watch the video again and explain all the details?

BassnMan Mike
    Sure can Mike.
    I'll post up tomorrow with more details
    Scott

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast