Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anchor Help, which kind?

Default Anchor Help, which kind?

I've been considering getting a couple anchors for the times I want to do the bait and wait for stripers and need some help figuring out just which type I should get. I know I'll want about 200 feet of rope for each.

Suggestions please.

Thanks,

BassnMan Mike

It really depends on how big you boat is and how much windage it has. Also how deep you are anchoring and how much wind and current there is also what type of bottom, sand, mud, rock... I like to use a lot of chain. You actually lay on the chain not the anchor. the higher the wind the more scope you will need the more scope you need the more line you need. If you don't have enough chain then you will lay on the anchor and usually drag.

Quote Originally Posted by dixoncider View Post
    It really depends on how big you boat is and how much windage it has. Also how deep you are anchoring and how much wind and current there is also what type of bottom, sand, mud, rock... I like to use a lot of chain. You actually lay on the chain not the anchor. the higher the wind the more scope you will need the more scope you need the more line you need. If you don't have enough chain then you will lay on the anchor and usually drag.
    I've got a 21 foot Champion and I'd like an all purpose, rock, sand mud anchor, if thats possible. Also, how much chain should I use?

Thanks

Personally I'd go with one size up from recomended unless you're going to double anchor.
    http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...006000_225-6-0

Buy galvanized or zink coated chain at Home Depot, 25' should be more than enough

Get at least 2 of these to attach the chain to the anchor and the rope to the chain.

Finish that off with 300' of 1/2' - 5/8' polypropoline rope and you should be set for just about any conditions you'd consider staying on the water in. Can you get by with less? Of course, but would you rather have it and not need it or need it and not have it?

Quote Originally Posted by Marine_Michael View Post
    Personally I'd go with one size up from recomended unless you're going to double anchor.

Buy galvanized or zink coated chain at Home Depot, 25' should be more than enough

Get at least 2 of these to attach the chain to the anchor and the rope to the chain.

Finish that off with 300' of 1/2' - 5/8' polypropoline rope and you should be set for just about any conditions you'd consider staying on the water in. Can you get by with less? Of course, but would you rather have it and not need it or need it and not have it?
    Thanks for the info Mike, where ya been buddy? Anyhow, would you suggest a different type if I wanted to do the double anchor thing?

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...classNum=10418
    I would get the 13 pound one...At least 25' of chain. I don't use poly because it floats. Now all that said..I guess you could use way less and still hold most of the time..

Quote Originally Posted by Bassnman Mike View Post
    Thanks for the info Mike, where ya been buddy? Anyhow, would you suggest a different type if I wanted to do the double anchor thing?
    No I'd go with their recomended size anchor if you're doing the double anchor thing. I was recomending the heavier anchor ( 1 size up from recomended) if you were only going to get one anchor. The fluke style anchors like dixoncider recomends are great anchors too. Reading his post, I think we were probably using nylon rope and not polypro for the same reason he mentioned.

On my father's 32' sportfisher we used to have a danforth anchor with 50' of chain and a whole lot of anchor line for the primary and a fluke style anchor for when we wanted to double anchor. Since your boat is nowhere near the size or weight I don't think you'll need that kind of setup. When you're diving at Catalina island and no on is left aboard, the anchor has to hold or it's a long, long swim home.

Thanks Dixoncider and Mike, I appreciate the information.

Dixoncider, on the anchor line, you said that you dont use poly rope because it floats, what kind would you suggest?

Thanks again,

BassnMan Mike

I use this one with an equal length of chain to your boat length and never had any issues.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...classNum=10419

Double braided nylon.. That is a good gauge for chain.. about a boat lenght. I forget that we are talking about some 20' boat on a lake sometimes..It is force of habit .. Draging anchor at 0330 when its blowing 50 sucks. The claw or a danforth is fine.. I just use one of those mushroom anchors for a stern anchor on my little boat in shallow water.. works fine...If you want to anchor for striper in 200' at pyramid? if it blows 25 up there it will be tough no matter what..

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast