Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I Need Help With My Trolling Motor!

Row Row ur boat!

Underneth the foot switch is a lil black or gray rubber cap that fits over the off n on switch. That may be worn out. The lil half round nub could be missing. This would cause it to turn off n on due to poor contact. The trolling motor doctor sells them for 39 cents. Maybe higher but not not by much. Try that first.

Thanks all! Been too busy busy to keep working on it - but now I'm on vacation and have the time!

Thanks for the tip Vulture! I checked the nub, although it's a little worn, it's still intact. I pressed the nub manually - no luck. I pulled the outlet on the front of the boat. All of the wires were tight and none were worn, frayed or burnt. The batteries are fully charged.

The trolling motor is only 5 years old and hasn't been used that much - less than 10 times a year.

I guess the next step is to take it to a repair shop...
    Last edited by 4x4Tracker; 07-07-2010 at 10:27 AM. Reason: spelling

Try to replace the batteries with new ones or try to barrow a few from a friend. All you want to do is test the battery under full draw of the T motor. Buddy had the same problem even if he charged his batts all day. The batts had power but under full draw from the T motor is couldn’t hang. Pull the prop off and remove the 2 screws that hold the motor in. It should smell a lil burnt but not by much. Check the brushes inside. To replace the motor all you need a thin screwdriver to hold the brushes back as you insert the motor.

Thanks Vulture. I had a local, very reliable, battery shop check the batteries. They said they would love to sell me new ones, but these were fine. I couldn't have them tested under full draw because the TM wasn't working.

I'll try checking the motor...

Try one more thing. Underneath the top cover of the TM there are 3 or 5 wires coming out of the shaft of the TM. Those wires are capped with crimped wire nuts. I would cut those off and recap them. Maybe just maybe one of those wires broke lose. Just trying to solve the problem.

Thanks - still working on it!

Unscrew the plug and take it apart. There should be 3 screws holding the face of the plug and 2 holding the cable in the plug. Check those connections and to the same for the female end.
    This may sound dumb but do you have a good, clean solid contact with the battery ?
    Try replacing both male and femal plugs. That shold cost 60 bucks fromt the TM Doctor but you can also buy the same thing at Home Depot for less.
    Get a light tester and check if your getting power to the femal plug then check for power to the male plug. With the foot switch pressed check for power by the switches. You would have to remove the bottom plate to expose the wires.
    Pleas let me know if any of this works.

Got a voltage tester, going to try that this weekend. Thanks for all the advice!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast