Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I Need Help With My Trolling Motor!

Default I Need Help With My Trolling Motor!

Hi! I have a Motorguide 46 pound foot control trolling motor. The other day I was intermittently losing power. Jiggling the plug made it work the first coupe of times for a while - but by the third time, nothing worked.

The plug seems to be in good condition, it's not cracked or frayed. I had the battery checked and it's fine. I have power to the socket on the front of my boat. I took the covers off the trolling motor (except for the bottom end) and none of the wires are loose, frayed or burnt.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

take your motor to the trolling motor doctor here 3720 Industry Avenue Suite 105
    Lakewood CA 90712
    800-944-9446

Thanks Gridjockey!

check the foot pedal switch, sometimes the wire connection comes loose, if not it might be the switch itself, had the same problem on a 67 thrust m.g. good luck on the fix !

Thanks Kaneo. I was hoping to get some advice like this - there's plenty of shops around here who are happy to take my money to fix my problem! I didn't see and loose wires or obvious indications of a bad switch.

Any electronic wizards out there know how I can check a switch to see if it's functioning?

When I was at clear lake, my buddies trolling motor took a dump also.. we tried to figure it out but never did, tried changing fuses, reset connections, everything.. he ended up fishing with me till he left.. We got power on a meter at the plug, but it still didnt work. He took it to the trolling motor doctors and they said nothing was wrong.. he took it home and hooked it up directly to the battery with cables and it worked.. he ended up replacing all of his wiring and it works fine now.. You might have a bad spot in the wiring from the battery to the motor/breaker/fuse that you cant see. Or maybe a bad breaker/fuse. Hope this helps.. My wires were a pain to pull when I rewired and installed my new trolling motor in Feb. Good luck and Tight Lines...

I know you said you have power to the socket, but one other thing to check is the connection from the power wires to the back of the socket. Make sure those are all clean and making good contact. The fact that it was trying to work when you jiggled the plug indicates to me that your problem is likely in that area.

If you need a 12/24 v, 45 pound motorguide to replace this one, I still have one available (see my post on this board) that i will just give you .... it's old though, probably a 1991 model. Works perfect.

Good luck!

Thanks all! I'll let you know if I can figure it out!

could be bad brushes in the motor or brushes could be stuck do to melted brush housing check out iboats.com

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4Tracker View Post
    Jiggling the plug made it work the first coupe of times for a while - but by the third time, nothing worked.
    Sounds like you found the problem if your jiggling the plug spot made it change.

Could be a corroded wire inside the ' Plug '

Describe the ' Plug ' to us. Got a pic.

DR

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast