Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Where are you fishing this memorial day weekend?

Any suggestions? I wanna go fishing with my buddy that I haven't seen for ages and our boys, 7 and 9. I haven't been fishing for years and don't where to go. Just want to show the kids a good time and get them exited about fishing so we can go more often. I'm in Covina and he's in Anaheim. Anywhere in the area?

Just my personal 2 cents....

The local fishing scene is tough for anyone not familiar with it. The guys out there actually catching fish work at it and know what they're doing. So yes, you can go to Laguna Lake in Fullerton and have a good day of fishing, but you're not *necessarily* going to catch any fish.

To get kids excited, they need to catch a fish and the only way to make *sure* that happens is Troutdale. Heck, I hear all the time about people getting skunked at Santa Ana River Lakes, which is heavily stocked, but if you don't know the right gear and bait and locations, then it's easy to come away empty handed. So if this about the kids catching something this weekend.... Troutdale. Check their website first... it gets expensive fast, but you will catch fish.

For the longer term, you're going to need to spend time on the water and get your skills and local knowledge wired in and then you'll be in a position to really show the kids how it works. Heck, I had been fishing the salt for 20 years, but after another 20 years of not fishing, I was shocked at how poorly I did when I decided to try it again. It tooks months of reading and getting out on the water and talking to local fishermen and experimenting with different gear and baits and presentations to get it dialed in. I went from 4 fish days to 25 fish days, but it didn't happen overnight.

Quote Originally Posted by Ornery Bob View Post
    For the longer term, you're going to need to spend time on the water and get your skills and local knowledge wired in and then you'll be in a position to really show the kids how it works. Heck, I had been fishing the salt for 20 years, but after another 20 years of not fishing, I was shocked at how poorly I did when I decided to try it again. It tooks months of reading and getting out on the water and talking to local fishermen and experimenting with different gear and baits and presentations to get it dialed in. I went from 4 fish days to 25 fish days, but it didn't happen overnight.
    Glad to see that there are still fisherman out there willing to put in work.

Most of the time, you have 'lurkers' who troll sights like this to avoid the hard work.

Major props for you putting in what is needed to be successful on the water.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234