Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Homemade lightweight anchors?

Default Homemade lightweight anchors?

Anyone have some ideas about a good anchor for float tubing. I mean one that will hold you in place when the wind starts to blow. Lightweight with no sharp ends or edges. Making one would be great, but if I can buy one locally for about the same price as one I could make, I'd rather do that.

Hi, I was thinking the same thing, however I couldnt find anything that I could use that would be cheaper than buying one. I still havent got one yet but I think Walmart has some small mushroom type anchors for about 10-15 bucks I dont think you can get much cheaper than that. Might be worth looking into to.

for my yak i use the small folding grappling anchor 5 ft of chain works great they have them at west marine pre set up but i put my own together

I made my anchor out of pvc. I used 3" pvc at was 2.5 long, filled it with concrete and cap both ends, tie some rope to it and bam you got yourself an awesome anchor. how that helps

I bought a 3lb rubber dumbell at walmart tied some rope to it,and seems work.

Quote Originally Posted by tankdog View Post
    I bought a 3lb rubber dumbell at walmart tied some rope to it,and seems work.
    I married a dumbell about 10 years ago, she does a pretty good job at keeping me anchored!!! L0L!!!

West Marine sale small anchor, 1.5 pound, I bought one for my kayak.

When I used to float tube I'd carry an empty burlap bag and rope down to the waters edge. I'd then find a few rocks and place them in the bag and tie off the top with the rope, instant anchor. This setup worked fine for me.

Try Ebay just won one from a shop in Fl. Here's the new auction listing;
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Kayak-Folding-An...81271288454058.

Or you can order from Hook 1 in Capistrano Beach, they specialize in Kayak accessories but many items can/do work for float tubers.
    http://kayakfishinggear.com/anchorsa...cessories.aspx
    IMO these guys are great. No hassle returns always willing to help. Karen is great, I was looking for a light mast (VersiPole) for my pontoon (for night tubing Castaic, etc.), she had one with a minor cut to the filler foam on the post...sold it to me for 10% off. Went to Home Depot for some insulating pipe foam and replaced it good as new for a couple of bucks.
    Also reasonable shipping, very fast (usually one day to me in Valencia).
    Alot of reasearch on prices and found the best prices there. (If anyone finds better on these anchors, I'd like to know)
    I have the 1.5# (for float tubin') and 3.5# (for my PAC800 pontoon) anchors from them.
    We now return you to your regular programming.
    LW.
    Last edited by Liteweight; 05-25-2010 at 12:27 AM. Reason: product ID

west marine has the same one for a good price. oh and you don't have to pay shipping, also if you pick it up at a store you have it in hand.
    http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...classNum=10420

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast