Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Calling any whisker/carp angler

Default Calling any whisker/carp angler

alright guys does anyone have any advice for a noob catfish/carp angler cause ive literally only caught 1 catfish weighting close to a pound and t was dumb luck cause it was on green powerbait. anyone have any tips as far as rigs bait tackle, anything would be greatly appreciated thanks all.

well for catfish i would use like 10 or 15 lb test line with a 2 ounce weight...size 2 hook...and for bait use shrimp, mackrel, or shrimp and marshmallow combo or the meal worms and mackerel...but go with the shrimp/marshmallow combo...that usually works for me

bout how long a leader would you recommend

how big is this pond if its small just fly line makeral, anchovies, shrimp, hot dogs (be careful how hard you toss the weinies) or use a b or bb size split shot to get your bait down faster. for these baits i usually use a size 4 or size 2 owner hook.
    if you know how to work your drag just use 4lb test because if its a small pond then your lookin at like 1-3 pounders ive landed 6 pound cats on 4lb test(p line) it just depends if you know how to work light line if not go with 6
    also millworms with marsh mellow with a sliding sinker or a split shot the leader should be like 4-8 inches hook size i usually go with a size 6
    some times the cats want inflated night crawlers use a size b split shot because a bb wont get the night crawler down itll just float on top.
    hog wild works great for a dip and if you have a can of garlic bang spray that into the hog wild you will be set =p
    ps fresher the maks are the better it is imo

carp: feed the ducks some corn,bread, or corn tortilla theres also other baits out there you could use just look it up
    Last edited by BrandonFish; 05-13-2010 at 04:15 PM.

all you have to use for carp is Mesa. Mix it with the water from the lake. You want to make it like PB. After mixing it all you need to do with it is put it on your hook. FLY LINE IT just sit and wait. You want to use 6lb line or lighter.

I've had luck using a drop loop rig. Usually use a 6-12 inch gap between the loop and the sinker (depending on how deep the water is) and I use dipsey or pyramid sinkers. I also like using weedless hooks when using cut up mackerel/baits that get mushy. It tends to keep them on the hook better especially when trying to cast far. If there is a shop near by get the largest mealworms they have! Go out and get yourself some garlic flavored marshmellows and maybe some garlic attractant. Anywhere from 4-8 pound test line has always been fine for me. Hope this helps!

awesome tanks all hopefully this season i can land some legit kittys.... good luck all

Quote Originally Posted by Zach1093 View Post
    I've had luck using a drop loop rig. Usually use a 6-12 inch gap between the loop and the sinker (depending on how deep the water is) and I use dipsey or pyramid sinkers. I also like using weedless hooks when using cut up mackerel/baits that get mushy. It tends to keep them on the hook better especially when trying to cast far. If there is a shop near by get the largest mealworms they have! Go out and get yourself some garlic flavored marshmellows and maybe some garlic attractant. Anywhere from 4-8 pound test line has always been fine for me. Hope this helps!
    Garlic flavored marshmallows????

Quote Originally Posted by TaperSteve View Post
    Garlic flavored marshmallows????
    Oh yeah baby. And if you hope up the can it smells like you walked into the kitchen of an italian restaurant.

Got a nice bright green color to. Yummy.

I'm actually out of the garlic but heres a picture of the shrimp flavored that I got.

Last edited by Zach1093; 06-09-2010 at 10:15 PM.