Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Newport pier fishing

Lol, my mother-in-law is chinese and she expects me tobring at least 10 everytime i go

I was thinking about going sometime this week. What setup should I use? Line? Bait? I want to target Mackeral. Thanx for any info you can provide!

TaperSteve

mackerel ain't that special, or are they picky.
    if you can put bait in front of their face you'll get it.

if they're biting in full force, a larger size sabiki rig with a 2oz weight at the end, on a heavier set up, say with at least 10 pound test, chuck it far out and reel in moderately fast with occasional jerks.
    when mackerel are in full force this will yield a few mackerel every cast.

when they're not in full force, a fun way to catch them is lighter line, around 4lb test with a carolina rig with a split shot weight. this don't work too well if the pier is crowded cause mackerel will run sideways and pull 4lb drag if they're larger.

you could also use a huge foam ball bobber on top of a sabiki rig using a lighter weight and let it sit out there.

I usually fish for them at night off of redondo beach pier when I do. at night the best thing to do is use a glowstick as a bobber and fish with 2 or 3 hooks attached to the mainline under the bobber with as light of weight you can get away it. its cool to see the glowstick disappear under the water

PM sent Steve

I plan on going to either Newport Pier or Balboa Pier for Mackeral tomorrow night. Does anyone know what time the piers close? Is it better to fish for Mackeral before or after dark?
    Last edited by TaperSteve; 05-26-2010 at 12:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Swank909 View Post
    PM sent Steve
    didn't know mackeral was such a big secret

Quote Originally Posted by BrandonFish View Post

didn't know mackeral was such a big secret
    HAHAH i went into super detail lol, maybe even tip of the month worthy! jk

Steve they close at midnight I believe, I always do better in the morning than I do at night.
    Last edited by Swank909; 05-26-2010 at 06:36 PM.

Anybody been lately? How's the Mack?

While they say they close at midnight, they dont usually kick you off til 1:00 am. The cops will drive through and tell everyone to kick rocks.

Well i haven't been lately. But i heard its awful. I got tired of just catching one type of fish so i found a new spot and now i catch a variety everytime i go.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast