Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Newport pier fishing

macs are fun to catch on a trout pole and 6lb line. even more fun when regular fishing is slow

Quote Originally Posted by MACKERAL KING View Post
    Well i haven't been lately. But i heard its awful. I got tired of just catching one type of fish so i found a new spot and now i catch a variety everytime i go.
    Thats a common misconception, there are actually lots of different fish that frequent this pier. Ive caught legal calicos there. The problem is, as with any other highly fished spot, that the better fish that frequent the piers are way too smart to be caught "the old fashioned way".

when you hook a fish, and its released, or escapes, the fish learns to associate the bait you used with danger.

There are tons of opaleye that swim around this pier that are simply too smart to go for peas. Same with the pileperch. they usually just ignore the bait and continue picking the pilings for little creatures.

Mix it up a bit. Use baits you suspect the fish have never seen before. Go to an asian market and get some live clams,fresh-dead squid, anything that looks appetizing for fish.

Right now, the 99-ranch market near the anaheim plaza has baby octopus. Try em out.

You're right Smokehound, I caught my first 2 yellow fin croakers at Newport pier just a few weeks ago. I've caught short sculpin there also. Just gotta mix it up. But mackerel's fun. I have a sibiki rig on a 5' rod with 4lb line, that's fun.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123