Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2 weeks and Counting-Tips/Suggestions

try 18" or longer. I was using small single hooks size 8 and 10 i think. i was using all kinds of different powerbait...what worked for me was a pink/orange rainbow. Also I heard about this new flavor of gulp...it is an off white cheese color with sparkles, I heard it was killin em...I caught one off of it. Anyway good luck, no doubt you will do well.

Default Hook size

Size 8 and 10 may even be a little large. For nightcrawlers, a 10 would work. Make sure to get a worm treader. We used to use half a nightcrawler threaded on the hokk, and then inflate the crawler so that it would float off the bottom.

If you are using power bait or eggs, use a smaller hook - size 14 or 16 (maybe even an 18) treble hook for PB, or a size 14 or so single for eggs or gulp eggs.

If you want, you can stop by a shop like Turner's (I am assuming that you live in the L.A. area) prior to leaving. Talk to them in the store - they generally know what they are talking about. Then, if you need to pruchase gear at a discounted price, stop in at K-Mart in Bishop.

Once again - the best thing to do is to stop into the local tackle shops (Ernies in June Lake, Culver's or Mac's in Bishop, Bells in Lee Vining), or any of the marinas to find out what is actually going on at the time.

Have fun!

Default Hook size

Size 8 and 10 may even be a little large. For nightcrawlers, a 10 would work. Make sure to get a worm treader. We used to use half a nightcrawler threaded on the hokk, and then inflate the crawler so that it would float off the bottom.

If you are using power bait or eggs, use a smaller hook - size 14 or 16 (maybe even an 18) treble hook for PB, or a size 14 or so single for eggs or gulp eggs.

If you want, you can stop by a shop like Turner's (I am assuming that you live in the L.A. area) prior to leaving. Talk to them in the store - they generally know what they are talking about. Then, if you need to pruchase gear at a discounted price, stop in at K-Mart in Bishop.

Once again - the best thing to do is to stop into the local tackle shops (Ernies in June Lake, Culver's or Mac's in Bishop, Bells in Lee Vining), or any of the marinas to find out what is actually going on at the time.

Have fun!

I stayed up at June last weekend. I had my best luck against the reeds by the marina. There were usually 2-3 schools of stockers that would swim by periodically. I had the best luck with my gold and pink panther martins. As soon as I saw a school, I would cast out about 10 feet in front of them and give it a medium-fast retrieve. They would just nail it! I caught 4 stockers in 10 mins doing that. Biggest one was 2lb 3oz.

I never had any luck with nightcrawlers or pb...unless I wanted to keep all the annoying suckerfish I caught on them.

Good luck up there. The weather was in the 80's during the day and 50's at night and the water temp was in the mid 60's.

One more thing...on my last day out there, I watched the marina owner release about 20 5lbs+ trout from the hatchery pen. My friends and I just watched in amazement as he was releasing them all.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12