Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mother’s Day in The Santa Barbara Surf. A Good Sign of Things to Come! 5/9/10

looks like there was no room for the dance sunday

Great report again Wingnut ... thanks!! Looks like a butt load of fun. (pun intended) :-)

Pretty cool stuff Arthur....... GREAT REPORT & some GREAT PHOTOS.....

I think you guys are a little nuts being out that far into the surf....
    Might as well dump the waders and invest in a wet suit!

Whoever took that photo of Chris, musta got slammed by the same wave? LMAO!

I noticed something in the water near Chris....... so I enhanced it a little so you could see it better....
    Have fun out there !

Success! The legals have arrived! Looks like it's time to get the surf gear ready.

Arthur, that 24in butt is thick. Sorry to hear about the lost WSB.

Chris, I don't think anyone can wade out as far as you can. You're crazy. LOL doesn't that defeat the purpose of using waders?

Congrats to all you guys on a successful outing.

Now thats wading , great report guys . Next piece of gear for the Swat Crew " LIFE VEST " !!!

Arthur,

I drove up to Monterey Thursday for a Pipe Trades Convention and the whole drive up along the coast I was looking at some pretty nice looking spots to fish. Once I had some time after the meetings I walked around the Monterey coast and saw some more spots I'm sure the S.W.A.T. Team would have had a field day. All the time I was thinking to myself, why didn't I bring my gear with me!
    Then Saturday I paid more attention to some great looking spots to fish again, thinking to myself, why didn't I pack my surf gear!
    The whole time I was thinking about the S.W.A.T. surf trips and how fun it was to hang with you and Bones last season and now I see that if I had just stayed one more day I could have at least looked you guys up and watched the best in action.
    Great job out there guys and I'm looking forward to reading more of the S.W.A.T. Team outings. Keep up the good work guys!

congrats on the Hali's arther....the count rises .....too bad bout the seabass....

Those are some fat halibut you got there Art, lucky you Chris.
    I remember those couple of times i got to surf fish with you way back when and how far you ventured out there and thought to myself, this guy is nuts, that's shark territory.
    Well done swat crew, looking forward to the next mission.

This pic cracks me up, how old are you guys??? I haven't rode on the tailgate of anybody's truck since like high school. You are forever young Art, and you make the people around you feel young too.

Default Wingnut's response.

Quote Originally Posted by Trout 1 View Post
    man catching hali looks soooo fun!!!

Trout 1
    It's a blast... you will see what I mean when you hook up to your first one, you will be hooked!

Quote Originally Posted by klocked View Post
    Arthur,

Looks like you guys have officialy kicked off the legal season with the 2 legals today!!
    Good job out there!

Wingnut Pug has her own waders!!!
    Hopefully so John... I still have my fingers crossed!
    All the waders belongs to Wingnut Pug... I just borrow them every weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Eat Sleep Fish View Post
    oh oh wingnuts gone surfing again....someone call security!! ahaha great job out there. keep em coming!
    We "are" the surf security ESF!

Quote Originally Posted by tr0psn4j View Post
    It was good to finally go fishing with you again!

You forgot to mention how you said "I'm going to catch a perch on the lucky craft," then proceeded to catch a perch with one turn of the handle on your first cast. :D
    Likewise Chris... good times bro.
    The Perch thing was funny. I walk out of the surf and see everybody Perching it up in that big shoreline trough pulling in one Perch after another. I didn't bring my Perch rig with me and didn't want to walk all the way back to the car so my LC rig will have to do. As soon as the LC hit the trough no more than 15 feet from me it got hammered... my luck comes through again! Hey, I'm getting my first yak lesson this weekend... wanna come along?

Quote Originally Posted by flyngby View Post
    Nice Day on the water Gentlemen!

Good to see things are picking up a little!

I would be led to believe that that was one of the longest times between legals for you Arthur but then again Poseidon did treat you well on 2 previous Holiday Sessions!

Wait I might be onto something! When is the next big day on the calender? OHHHHH! I do have Memorial Day off but it is a "Monday!"

"Too Bad for You" as your boss would never give you a weekday off!

Mike, Mikey, Roy, Chris,

Looks like another fun filled day out there with the "SWAT" Commander. Some decent fishing and some lost battles to keep us coming back for more.

Chris,

Not that I would ever get that far out but have you thought about the fact that Halibut have Razor SharpTeeth and you are pulling it stratight at you face. I know the felling when they happen to nudge you finger.

See you all soon I hope!

Steve
    It's been quite a spell Steve, but worth the wait... don't worry, my legal Halibut count will be just fine. I'm already working the "Boss" on Memorial Day Steve, leave a spot open for me will ya.
    I don't think Chris is worries about any Halibut when he's not even afraid to swim with Sharks! Hope the truck is back in operation, Phuong was in the same boat...

Quote Originally Posted by Nhatster View Post
    Uh ohhh, so it begins. looking forward to some killer reports from you guys soon. What a nice way to spend the day.
    We are all hoping that this is the start, man I really hope so...

Quote Originally Posted by Native Gal View Post
    Wingnut,
    Yeahhhhh! Baby! Finally the legals are coming out to play, Congrats! Man that is some serious wading, definitely surf fishing there, lol. I love the pix of the incoming wave, cool action shot. Sooooo!, on the WSB encounter did you do "The Dance" . Those are some sweet underwater shots. Glad you Gents had a great day in the salt.

NG
    We bring a new meaning to the term "Surf" fishing don't we NG? lol
    "The Dance" just won't go away... thanks Eddie! Yes, I did do my little tantrum dance there in the surf... I've always done it, for years... it just so happens that somebody got it on video...

Quote Originally Posted by blackwater View Post
    Oh man, looks like this could be the start of something beautiful. Well that sounds kinda I hope Yuri don't see this. I couldn't cut loose to go fishing today if my life depended on it. Plus, the truck broke down again, crap. Hey, i remember fishing with Chris, very cool guy. Looking forward to hitting the surf with you sometime Chris. Congrats on the multi legals and multi species day. Hope to see my SWAT brothers sometime soon.
    I knew all the S.W.A.T. members that are married with children couldn't make this trip. Us single guys woke them up for ya... they will be waiting for you guys this weekend. Glad you got the truck back in action again. Yeah, you fished with Chris before and you will again soon.

Quote Originally Posted by exfactor View Post
    I arrived a little later then the gang this morning. Where are they? Walked out to the point, and didn't see anything. Look down the beach, and I see bobbing seal like figures in the distance. So, i drive over to them, and the first thing that entered my mind is, those guys are body boating without the boat! Practically swimming, while casting the lures. Made me smile, and wonder why they risk drenching for a fish. Well, we decided on a new spot, so everyone piled into the truck for a quick vehicle retrieval, and off to the races again. I fought line twist today, and with the brisk wind, between seeing the knots, and contemplating borderline surffishing/diving techniques for a chance at glory, chose to stay a little closer to the beach then the rest. Arthur is uncanny at pulling the rabbit, and once again, he came through when it looked dismal. I'm going to start hitting it a little more often, and switch to my baitcaster, and try to put a few flat ones into the chase for how many in this year. Having a boat, it's hard not to use it for this, but I'll play fair, abeit swim fins. Thanks for a fun morning SWAT gang, and I'll see you all soon on the water.
    Mikey, that was fun wasn't it? I kept looking back towards the shore and see you shaking your head and laughing at us as we were bobbing up & down out there. I don't know why we do it, it's not really even necessary because we spook legal Flatties all the time much closer to the shore. Call of the wild I guess... See you soon my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by jerryG View Post
    Well done my friends! Good to see a couple legals back in the count. I figured things would be picking up after a week of better weather and increasing water temps. It looks like you guys had a great time. I was land locked all weekend in the same situation as Phoung.. No chance for escape this weekend but I paid my dues and I'm ready for next sunday. Looking forward to it.

JerryG
    Hey Jerry, I can't wait for my first kayak lesson this weekend... go easy on me will ya? I can't think of a better teacher to guide me on my next adventure! A future kayak report with Wingnut Pug at the helm... nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Liteweight View Post
    Boy you guys were out there! I don't know if what you were doing would be considered "Surf" Fishing.
    I don't think my waders will pull up that far. If I EVER get the privilege to fish with "the crew" I'd have to bring a float tube, PAC 800 or yak. It's the only way I'd be able to get out that far.
    Well, it looks as if it's on!
    Thanks as usual for the post and some great pics.
    LW.
    We have our own PFD's LW. The S.W.A.T. Crew is always prepared!

Quote Originally Posted by q3fishboy View Post
    to your request arthur, ill post a reply
    and despite what i jokingly said yesterday
    always a pleasure to fish with you again
    but one of these days i will catch a flattie
    while fishing with you, haha

still trying to decide if i should go today
    as the weather buoy is saying 15 knot winds
    and the water temperature dropped to 52

also, sent you a pm with my address last night
    thanks again for everything
    and look forward to fishing with you again soon
    Ha ha, that's funny Roy... I'm waiting for the day that you will steal my thunder... looking forward to it actually. You are a fine young man and deserve another BIG gift from Poseidon. Thank you for your friendship... UPS package on the way... and remember to pay it forward.

Quote Originally Posted by murrieta angler View Post
    Well done out there Arhtur,
    You are indeed a true "Surf Fisherman" from head to toe!
    Loved the report and the pictures.
    You will get that WSB next time.
    Take Care,
    Robert
    Thanks Robert... that lost WSB bothered me for a day, but I'm over ot now... you're right, there will be a next time!

Quote Originally Posted by DockRat View Post
    Very nice report Arthur.
    Congradulations on the 2 legals.
    It was good to see you had good weather and small surf.
    This is a boring reponse to a serious report.
    DR
    Your replies are seldomly boring DR... and my reports are never serious.

Quote Originally Posted by fisherman from long beach View Post
    now thats what you call a surf fishing.nice report and pics like always wingnut.
    Thank you very much, you need to take the wife surf fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by bsp View Post
    Solid surf session! Whenever you score multiple legals in the surf it's a good day. Hoping this cold weather will blow over soon and the water temps stabilize, and then it will finally go off. Sorry I couldn't get out there with you guys today, but I am definitely looking forward to hitting the surf up very soon. Also, go extreme wading! You know you've waded out far enough when you are treading water while casting your LC!

Marc
    Maybe we finally turned the corner here Marc. Let's hit the "Spot" in the next couple of weeks to see if the masses have gathered yet. Anthing worth doing is worth doing it to the extreme!

Quote Originally Posted by TroutOnly View Post
    ANOTHER GREAT OUTING,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o,,,,,,,,,,,
    Thanks Bob, looking forward to our upcoming Striper Kill mission my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by FishNFurious View Post
    Nice breakthru for the SWAT crew, that meens more great reports are coming.
    I was helping Phuong fix the work truck yesterday, he said i can tag along and fish with you guys next time. Hey Art, where's your floatation device??? Loan one to Chris too.
    Yeah Vincent, hopefully we will post many more successful missions to share with you guys. Floatation devices, yes we got them!

Quote Originally Posted by BrandonFish View Post
    looks like there was no room for the dance sunday
    Always room for the "Dance" Brandon...

Quote Originally Posted by TopwaterTony View Post
    Great report again Wingnut ... thanks!! Looks like a butt load of fun. (pun intended) :-)
    LOL, that it was Tony, that it was!

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherman57 View Post
    Pretty cool stuff Arthur....... GREAT REPORT & some GREAT PHOTOS.....

I think you guys are a little nuts being out that far into the surf....
    Might as well dump the waders and invest in a wet suit!

Whoever took that photo of Chris, musta got slammed by the same wave? LMAO!

I noticed something in the water near Chris....... so I enhanced it a little so you could see it better....
    Have fun out there !

We're not nuts Dana... just a little crazy that's all. LOL And I do own several wetsuits also.
    I clicked the camera and immediately got swamped by the same wave. Chris almost lost his sunglasses and I saw a Perch swim right past my face.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaysuuun View Post
    Success! The legals have arrived! Looks like it's time to get the surf gear ready.

Arthur, that 24in butt is thick. Sorry to hear about the lost WSB.

Chris, I don't think anyone can wade out as far as you can. You're crazy. LOL doesn't that defeat the purpose of using waders?

Congrats to all you guys on a successful outing.
    Yeah Jason, I've notice that the Northern Flatties are quite a bit more thicker and healthier than their cousins further South. Abundance of baitfish...? Better water quality...? Who knows... must be a reason though. Here's another pic of the same 24" fish... nice color patterns too.

Quote Originally Posted by Newfishsmell View Post
    Now thats wading , great report guys . Next piece of gear for the Swat Crew " LIFE VEST " !!!
    We got PFD's, but we don't do the extreme surf wading too often. lol

Quote Originally Posted by PONTOON View Post
    Arthur,

I drove up to Monterey Thursday for a Pipe Trades Convention and the whole drive up along the coast I was looking at some pretty nice looking spots to fish. Once I had some time after the meetings I walked around the Monterey coast and saw some more spots I'm sure the S.W.A.T. Team would have had a field day. All the time I was thinking to myself, why didn't I bring my gear with me!
    Then Saturday I paid more attention to some great looking spots to fish again, thinking to myself, why didn't I pack my surf gear!
    The whole time I was thinking about the S.W.A.T. surf trips and how fun it was to hang with you and Bones last season and now I see that if I had just stayed one more day I could have at least looked you guys up and watched the best in action.
    Great job out there guys and I'm looking forward to reading more of the S.W.A.T. Team outings. Keep up the good work guys!
    Thank you Terry. Always pack your fishing gear wherever you go... you never know what fishing opportunities may present itself. I've had my eyes on the Monterey area for quite some time now. I do believe that is where my first Striper from the surf will come from. Dana & I have been talking about making a trek up there one of these days and you are more than welcome to join us. Let me know when you and Trolly are ready for another S.W.A.T. adventure... we will plan one for you guys very soon. Hope all is well my friend, please shoot me a PM with an update.

Quote Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
    congrats on the Hali's arthur....the count rises .....too bad bout the seabass....
    Thanks Alex, when Jeff stops spoiling you with all the fantastic boat trips... maybe you can come back down to our level and hit the surf again to get your first legal Hali. No worries about the WSB man, it's part of the game. I'll get another chance soon enough. Here's a pic of the LC that I lost the fish with. I made the mistake of putting the weaker red Owner ST trebles on and they got bent out on the big fish. It handled a couple of legal Flatties that day, but was no match for a quality WSB.

Quote Originally Posted by Badbeat View Post
    Those are some fat halibut you got there Art, lucky you Chris.
    I remember those couple of times i got to surf fish with you way back when and how far you ventured out there and thought to myself, this guy is nuts, that's shark territory.
    Well done swat crew, looking forward to the next mission.

This pic cracks me up, how old are you guys??? I haven't rode on the tailgate of anybody's truck since like high school. You are forever young Art, and you make the people around you feel young too.

Like I always say Binh, "You are only young once, but you can be immature forever."

BTW - My condolences to the passing of your sister's Pug. Wingnut Pug will miss her sister. I dropped off a card to her at the house yesterday.
    Last edited by Wingnut; 05-12-2010 at 12:27 AM. Reason: Adding replies.

Nice session!! Looks like the hali's are coming out to play..

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast