Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mother’s Day in The Santa Barbara Surf. A Good Sign of Things to Come! 5/9/10

Default Mother’s Day in The Santa Barbara Surf. A Good Sign of Things to Come! 5/9/10

Got a call a couple of weeks ago from a buddy of mine whom I haven’t fished with in quite awhile. Chris (Tr0psn4j) is a moderator for HookUps Sportfishing (CST) and a very talented angler. Since a few of the S.W.A.T. members were planning to head North on Sunday, Mother’s Day, to fish the Santa Barbara surf, I invited Chris to come along. I didn’t have dinner plans with my Mom until later this evening so an early surf session sounded like a perfect plan… and indeed it was.

We had a few eyes and ears in the SB area sending us daily intel all week. Keeping us updated on the conditions. As of last night, everything looked pretty good except for the late report of high winds. But I made the decision to go ahead with the surf drop, we will make the best of it. Special thanks to Mikey (Exfactor), Roy (Q3Fishboy) and Brandon (Fishmaster B) for the solid intel, you guys were right on. So Mike (Bones), Chris (Tr0psn4j) and myself took the long early morning drive up the 101 to meet Mikey and Roy.

Conditions: Low tide at the LZ (landing zone). Fishing the incoming tide. Early morning flat conditions turning into moderate swells later in the morning / early afternoon. Warm and sunny weather. Good water clarity with very little salad. Water temperate 58 degrees. Moderate to fairly strong wind gusts. Fair amount of baitfish presence.

Techniques:
    Bones – Dropshotting plastics / throwing hard baits
    Q3Fishboy – Swim baits / throwing hard baits
    Exfactor – Plastic grubs / throwing hard baits
    Tr0p4ji – Throwing hard baits
    Wingnut – Throwing hard baits

We really like what we saw in the surf today. Close to optimal conditions, lots of life in the water and the fish were quite active and biting. The fish count were pretty decent with a couple of legal Flatties, numerous shorts, and many Perch. Plenty of highlights and only one lowlight. That was when I farmed a sure legal WSB that made a few blistering runs before throwing the LC back at me. Damn, sometimes the fish wins...

I know there's plenty of you guys out there patiently waiting just like us. Hope this trend of improvement continues for the next week or so… I think we may finally have a breakthrough.

Enjoy the pics…

Sunrise in the Santa Barbara Surf.

Sunday S.W.A.T. roll call.

First fish of the day... bait.

First legal of the day. 24" Released.

Roy farmed something BIG, the hook on the swim bait straightened out, bummer!

Chris was next to nail a Flat Boy. Hey Chris, you can raise your arm in victory after you beach the fish, not before. LOL

Chris dragging the prize to shore...

Well done!

Mike gets on the board.

I haven't taken any of these underwater shots in awhile... my short Hali.

Mikey was on fire with the big Perch... this is his smallest one!

I got a Piggy too!

Finished the day with a second legal. 23"

The tail was badly damaged and bleeding... probably due to a recent encounter with a Seal. Tail rot will soon set in and the fish will die. It will not be wasted, Chris, I hope your family enjoy the Mother's Day Halibut dinner.

Chris and I used to have contests to see who can wade out into the surf the farthest. He always beat me back then... and he still does... Okay, you win again Chris!

This wave took both of us out! lol

Chris, you look like a wet puppy dude. Hahaha

Chris suffering from some "water retention" issues. lol

Mike sticks a nice fish... but...

... maybe when he learns how to tie a proper knot he can land more of them! Pigtail? Damn rookie. lol

Brothers from different Mothers.

Good times, always a pleasure dodging waves and sticking fish with the S.W.A.T. Crew.

Mikey, great to be sharing the sand with your again my friend. Thanks for having Plan B ready as a backup plan. Mikey was generous enough to offer us Plan B of taking all of us to fish Lake Cachuma on his boat if the surf condition were too poor. Very cool of you Mikey.

Roy, I’m sorry to hear that you really hate fishing with me. LOL Thanks for always keeping us well informed with the Northern conditions, I appreciate that very much. Don’t forget to PM me your mailing address.

Chris, it’s been too long since we fished together my friend. Let’s not let life’s ups & downs get in the way of sharing what we love to do… FISH! Let’s do it again soon. I always thought that I was the “fearless” one in the surf. But you, my friend… is something else!

Mike, watch out dude… I’m slowly creeping up on you with the legal Hali count! Lol
    You’d probably catch more fish if your learn how to tie a proper knot. Hahahahahaha
    Thanks for your friendship and support.

Steve, Jerry, Marc, Phuong, Lucas and Andrew… get ready gentlemen, the S.W.A.T. Crew will unleash fury in the surf very soon.

Until the next surf drop, Happy Mother’s Day everybody!

Arthur (Wingnut)

“A Mother is somebody who thinks that you are a good egg, even though you’re a little cracked.”

Bonus pics.

Going to the next stop in the back of Exfactor's truck... Mikey, slow down!!! Yikes!

Until next time... peace!

Parting shot.
    Wingnut Pug - "I know that bag of treats is around here somewhere... I can smell it!"
    Wingnut - "No, what you're smelling is the Calico Cocktail...!"
    Last edited by Wingnut; 05-10-2010 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Spelling corrections.

man catching hali looks soooo fun!!!

Trout 1

Arthur,

Looks like you guys have officialy kicked off the legal season with the 2 legals today!!
    Good job out there!

Wingnut Pug has her own waders!!!

oh oh wingnuts gone surfing again....someone call security!! ahaha great job out there. keep em coming!

It was good to finally go fishing with you again!

You forgot to mention how you said "I'm going to catch a perch on the lucky craft," then proceeded to catch a perch with one turn of the handle on your first cast. :D

Nice Day on the water Gentlemen!

Good to see things are picking up a little!

I would be led to believe that that was one of the longest times between legals for you Arthur but then again Poseidon did treat you well on 2 previous Holiday Sessions!

Wait I might be onto something! When is the next big day on the calender? OHHHHH! I do have Memorial Day off but it is a "Monday!"

"Too Bad for You" as your boss would never give you a weekday off!

Mike, Mikey, Roy, Chris,

Looks like another fun filled day out there with the "SWAT" Commander. Some decent fishing and some lost battles to keep us coming back for more.

Chris,

Not that I would ever get that far out but have you thought about the fact that Halibut have Razor SharpTeeth and you are pulling it stratight at you face. I know the felling when they happen to nudge you finger.

See you all soon I hope!

Steve

I'm not afraid of a little halibut. :D

Uh ohhh, so it begins. looking forward to some killer reports from you guys soon. What a nice way to spend the day.

Wingnut,
    Yeahhhhh! Baby! Finally the legals are coming out to play, Congrats! Man that is some serious wading, , definitely surf fishing there, lol. I love the pix of the incoming wave, cool action shot. Sooooo!, on the WSB encounter did you do "The Dance" . Those are some sweet underwater shots. Glad you Gents had a great day in the salt.

NG

Oh man, looks like this could be the start of something beautiful. Well that sounds kinda I hope Yuri don't see this. I couldn't cut loose to go fishing today if my life depended on it. Plus, the truck broke down again, crap. Hey, i remember fishing with Chris, very cool guy. Looking forward to hitting the surf with you sometime Chris. Congrats on the multi legals and multi species day. Hope to see my SWAT brothers sometime soon.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast