Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Fishing the desert

Default Fishing the desert

Started out planning on going out to Cahuilla but got there and I guess they are closed during the week now. So decided to try a place I used to go with my dad like 20 years ago, Johnson Street canal but it looks unfishable now. I had heard you could still fish there but if so I don't know what part. So we headed out to a part of the canal by Mecca just so we could make a few casts. After eing there about 10 mins a couple of guys come up in there truck and start asking what kind of fish were in there. After chatting for a bit and telling them our trouble finding a place to fish they invited us back to a private lake in a little community in the La Quinta cove. Turned out to be a fun little lake tons of blue gill and a few bass, we just caught bluegill though. Turned out to be a pretty fun day after all. If anyone has any tips on where to fish in the desert I would appreciate itm the place has changed so much since I last lived down here. A few pics;

tons of these little guys around

My buddy with one of the little bait stealing bastards

but if you could get you bait past the little ones there were some nice ones hiding in there too

piiiig bluegill! i love the way those pigs fight it amazes me every time i hook into one. must be like 100 blue gill right there lol
    Last edited by BrandonFish; 05-04-2010 at 06:09 PM.

Wow, you got a nice bait spot there . Which desert you looking to fish?

cool report, nice big gill,....weather looks good, cant complain a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Katnip View Post
    Wow, you got a nice bait spot there . Which desert you looking to fish?
    I am down in the Coachella Valley

That was a lot of gills schooling in that pic.. Nice pig gill in the second pic...

that big tree behind you holds some nice bass cranks, plastics anyway out here in the cv not much.Lake Hemet, canals or the river.

Joe