Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: reels

I remember there being a post here about casting.
    Someone was practicing using a laundry clip (you know the wooden ones) and would tie it to the line. Then clip on a baseball card.

This method gave you the really light weight of the bait and the clip would simulate the hook in the bait. If you swing too hard, the card would slip out. If this was the bait, you just pulled the hook out of its nose and the bait is flopping around on the deck! Swing too soft and the clip/card would not fly. It was about finding that balance between strength, timing and feel.

I've tried it several times and to this day, I still bring my spinning rod.
    Not because I completely suck at casting, but because sometimes it's just easier!! :D

Quote Originally Posted by sonarbp
    Yep pretty much!!

Just practice,practice,practice!!!!

sonarbp
    IMO, the baitasting reel is much easier than a standard conventional reel....most of the baitcasters have some kind of adjustable brake system.....but i will say that if you already can cast a baitcaster, then it WILL be easier to learn how to cast a standard conventional reel....my preference is Newell...they are very light, and cast very nice..and are reasonable priced...most guys on here have their own preference...that is just my own....peace...

Quote Originally Posted by Funjunkie74
    Someone was practicing using a laundry clip (you know the wooden ones) and would tie it to the line. Then clip on a baseball card.

This method gave you the really light weight of the bait and the clip would simulate the hook in the bait. If you swing too hard, the card would slip out. If this was the bait, you just pulled the hook out of its nose and the bait is flopping around on the deck! Swing too soft and the clip/card would not fly. It was about finding that balance between strength, timing and feel.

Not because I completely suck at casting, but because sometimes it's just easier!! :D
    lol... a few years back, my brother in law insisted that he can catch anything with his spinning reel that i could with my conventional reel....he was hard headed about it...well, we fished Farnsworth for yellows, lmfao, lmfao....i told him he was gonna get buttholed...he hooked a yellow, and within literally a few seconds of the initial hookup, his reel blew up in pieces, literally....u should have seen the look on his face...i had a yellow going at the same time which i lost...i was laughing SO HARD, i couldnt pull!!! Its ok, i still ended up with 2 off the bank that day...

Quote Originally Posted by ghetto dad
    Quote Originally Posted by Funjunkie74

lol... a few years back, my brother in law insisted that he can catch anything with his spinning reel that i could with my conventional reel....he was hard headed about it...well, we fished Farnsworth for yellows, lmfao, lmfao....i told him he was gonna get buttholed...he hooked a yellow, and within literally a few seconds of the initial hookup, his reel blew up in pieces, literally....u should have seen the look on his face...i had a yellow going at the same time which i lost...i was laughing SO HARD, i couldnt pull!!! Its ok, i still ended up with 2 off the bank that day...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

If you never used conventional .... "BIRDS NEST !!!!!!" I get it all that damn time .... but then again, I don't really practice it either, hahahaha

definately bring your spinning reel

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: (silently LMFAO in the office!!!)

Yeah, if you're on the boat and YT start to bite, get that spinner out and get the conventional in the water.

Although casting out may get you better results, if you're using live bait, you could always under-cast a little and let the little swimmer do his thing. You don't always have to cast out a mile!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12