Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: reels

Default reels

I usually use spinning rods but want to try a conventional rod when I go out this time and was wondering how diffucult it is to use for someone who hasnt used one before??

I reccomend that if you have not used one before that you practice with one before going out with it. You may want to bring your spinning gear too just in case.

It takes some practice and getting used to if you plan to cast with the reel. If you plan to just drop bait with a weight there's not much to it. its casting that becomes the challenge.

Good advice above... Definetly recommend practicing or else you will spend your day pulling backlashes from the reel. I have a 12 yr old son that is just learning how to use that kind of reel and he practices with a trash can from his room. He started out in the backyard about 5 feet from the can and now he can through the lure a country mile.. Quick Learner. he also enjoys throwing lures in our new pool out back. It teaches him how to impart action to them and he is learning the rate at which they sink...

Good Luck.

Fresh One !!! (Mike)

Good advice above... Definetly recommend practicing or else you will spend your day pulling backlashes from the reel. I have a 12 yr old son that is just learning how to use that kind of reel and he practices with a trash can from his room. He started out in the backyard about 5 feet from the can and now he can through the lure a country mile.. Quick Learner. he also enjoys throwing lures in our new pool out back. It teaches him how to impart action to them and he is learning the rate at which they sink...

Good Luck.

Fresh One !!! (Mike)

Hey Matt,

It is not that hard to cast a conventional reel at all......just takes a little practice to perfect the technique!!!

I don't remember who on this forum posted this link before......but you might take a look here:

http://www.fishingnoosa.com.au/baittechb.htm

It shows how to cast a casting reel!!!!

Good Luck!!!!

sonarbp

so its basically the same as a bait casting rod??

Yep pretty much!!

Just practice,practice,practice!!!!

sonarbp

its easy dude, not hard at all........
    take dean070's advice, bring a spinner with you,...just in case.......

I'll be on a cattle boat so there wont be much casting anyway
    thanks guys

Quote Originally Posted by matt k.
    I'll be on a cattle boat so there wont be much casting anyway
    thanks guys
    u cast farther u have the advantage on a moo moo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast