Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Yellow fever @ the Coronado Islands

Default Yellow fever @ the Coronado Islands

Made plans again to fish with jeff "webmaster" aboard his awesome boat the keilani and headed down to san diego to fish in mexican waters at the coronado islands. we launch the boat pick up some bait and head for the fishing grounds.

we pass the islands and tuna pens and finally arrive to crashing birds...a good sign...the bite seemed to be slow and the weather was gray and calm with no current. we chased birds and yoyoed and fast cranked the bottom for no luck mean while fishing a sardine on another rod. we started picking up bottom fish like sculpin

and starry eyed rockfish and finally my reel with the flylined sardine starts screaming i set the hook and the fight was on.

i was using a short penn stand up rod with a penn 501 with 25lb after a short fight i boated this beautiful yellow.

there were tons of boats around some PB's and some charter. look who i found out fishing yellows...the famous rubber ducky.

..nice to meet you guys hope to see you out there again. as the day goes by the bite turns on then turns off....we were anchor up to bait wait and watch all the other boats drive around and chase the fish

heres how close they were drifting to us anchored....can you see the yellow falling off the gaff..that sucks
    when ZzZZzzzzzzZZ my reel goes off again....once again i set the hook and the fight was on

...this one fought a lot harder than the first one but was quick work for my short pumps on the stand up rod bam!! got no 2 another 20+lb yellowtail

we sat around for the rest of the day with no more bites and called it a day.
    jeff, buddy thanks again...with out you i would have never caught these fish thank you bro..
    sorry you didnt hook up, nextime for sure bro...lets do it again soon!
    Last edited by Fishbones; 04-27-2010 at 12:52 AM.

you 2 are indeed fish slayers that is a awsome picture with the bloody yellowtail just crazy looking!

Great report! Grats on the YT! Crazy that you got that pic of the YT falling off the gaff haha

Nice yellows! I sure hope we get some yellows like that at Catalina this year.

nice report alex,i still see you out there gettin your slay on,oh by the way when is the bbq,and i got the coronas and limes.tight lines bud.fflb

EXCELLENT JOB ALEX!!
    That pic of the bloody YT is epic.
    I take it there was no, yo-yo'ing for YT's on this trip?
    Also, if you don't mind, did you guys head to the rockpile?
    Great report and pics, always love when the pics do most of the talikng!
    Robert

Congrats on the two tails, yesterday you had to be both lucky and good to catch a few. Talked to Lal last night just returning at 9pm, long day for no tails! You did well with two!

Excellent times fishing with you again Alex. You are welcome aboard the Keilani any time. I think the best part of the trip was watching "gorilla-man" bounce that yellowtail on to the Malihini. AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tunaslam View Post
    Congrats on the two tails, yesterday you had to be both lucky and good to catch a few. Talked to Lal last night just returning at 9pm, long day for no tails! You did well with two!
    Very true. yesterday was a tough day for sure, but the Keilani is one lucky boat and Alex is a dam good fisherman.

Quote Originally Posted by murrieta angler View Post
    EXCELLENT JOB ALEX!!
    That pic of the bloody YT is epic.
    I take it there was no, yo-yo'ing for YT's on this trip?
    Also, if you don't mind, did you guys head to the rockpile?
    Great report and pics, always love when the pics do most of the talikng!
    Robert
    Plenty of yo-yoing on this trip Robert - just no hookups for us. my arm is still killing me! Yeah, rockpile.

Nice Jellos mang!

LMAO @ the yellow falliing off the gaff

Sweet catch on the yellows fishbones , did you get'em both flylining dines ??
    Cool pics guys ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast