Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Avet Reel for So Cal and Baja ?

Default Avet Reel for So Cal and Baja ?

Whats the best all around Avet reel for so cal and baja ? 20-30lb set up for throwing small jigs, bait and plastics.
    Also what rod would you match the reel up with ?
    Mostly calico,yellows and tuna targeted.
    One speed or Two ?

Thanks for any tips

Quote Originally Posted by tpfishnfool View Post
    20-30lb set up for throwing small jigs, bait and plastics.

One speed or Two ?
    Your asking an awful lot from one reel!!!

The best 'Avet' for all of that would probably be a Daiwa Saltist 30T.... ??????
    Very hard call............

Why that Reel you ask???
    Price to quality and versatility IMHO for 15# to 50#+ applications..
    Loaded with 50 braid and a top shot of choice (easily changed to suite the target) You have the power and cast-ability for all those fish...
    With a bit of line to do the job if you get a larger fish.
    The saltist 30 T (narrow spool = great casting on light stuff) has the same gears, drags and innards as the 50, strong as an Ox and bullet proof Full Metal Jacket design....

If it has to be an Avet, then I'd pick the MXL. Single speed is fine, no need for a two-speed in those line classes. Other options would be the SX or MXJ if you intend to fish more on the 20# side of things. JX if you want to bump up into the 40# line class or need more capacity in a 30# rig.

For rods, a Calstar or Seeker 270H/270H-8 is a good choice.

My vote is for Saltiga 30T. Best star drag reel available.

If it has to be an Avet, an MXJ.

Quote Originally Posted by fuj View Post
    If it has to be an Avet, then I'd pick the MXL. Single speed is fine, no need for a two-speed in those line classes. Other options would be the SX or MXJ if you intend to fish more on the 20# side of things. JX if you want to bump up into the 40# line class or need more capacity in a 30# rig.

For rods, a Calstar or Seeker 270H/270H-8 is a good choice.
    X2.....except I like Seekers. It's a Beatles v. Elvis thing, that's all.

Custom Wrapped Phenix's.

Quote Originally Posted by calico killer kevin View Post
    My vote is for Saltiga 30T. Best star drag reel available.

If it has to be an Avet, an MXJ.
    X2 on that. I own an SX and JX 2speed which i currently use for live bait. Just bought a Saltiga 30 a year ago, fished it all last summer and fell in love!!! which i currently use for jigs. If I had the money I'd definitely get another.

If it has to be an AVET...

...Either an SX 2 speed or MXJ 2 speed... Spool it with 200/300yds 50lb spectra and fill the rest up with whatever size mono u want. The SX and MX size reels have the same amount of drag so an SX should be able to handle anything a MX can. With the spectra backing you should have enough line on that reel to fish yellows and football size tuna. Althought 2 speed isnt necessary, its nice to have when you hook on a bigger fish especially on a small reel like the SX. Its also nice to have 6:1 when ur fishing jigs and the slower speed when fishing rockfish.

I say either an SX 2 speed or MXJ 2 speed should be a good all around reel.
    Last edited by victor101; 04-25-2010 at 12:50 PM.

I've been looking for a Newell 322 in good condition to go with my Seeker SJ85 for the last 20 years. I just purcahsed one in Pristine condition from a fellow FNN'er. IMO this is an ideal 25# set-up for throwing Tady 45's, AA's or Candy Bars. Also has just enough give to so as not to kick my butt on Tuna.
    btw: You should be looking @ one particular species. As an x-tackle shop employee and deckhand good luck trying to find your requsted outfit.
    Ooooppsssss!!! Almost forgot my Calstar 690J and 530.
    LW
    btw, do any fellow FNN'ers think the Talica 2-speed might be a good alternatve?
    Last edited by Liteweight; 05-07-2010 at 12:27 AM. Reason: additional comments

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by tpfishnfool View Post
    Whats the best all around Avet reel for so cal and baja ? 20-30lb set up for throwing small jigs, bait and plastics.
    Also what rod would you match the reel up with ?
    One speed or Two ?

Thanks for any tips

You wanna do all that with only one setup? I would say..... MXJ 2 Speed with 300 yards 50lb spectra. Just change the topshot to the type of fishing you wanna do. With 300 yards spectra, you can also go deep for rockfish.