Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nph 4/18, 4/19

Default Nph 4/18, 4/19

4/18 7:30-10am

Wasn't quite feeling it when I fished Sunday the 18th. But still managed to get 5 Spotties which all came from the end of the docks in deeper water. Made arrangements to pick up my sons jacket from Steve, that we left on his boat from our previous harbor tour. After the hand off, I headed home after a few more half hearted casts.

5 for Sunday....

4/19 3pm-7pm

For me, the afternoon bite always seems better when fishing from shore. Today was alot more fun than yesterday. Upon arrival, it just felt really fishy

3rd cast at spot 1, just a lil' guy...

Made my way down a ways for a dry spell and proceeded to land my swimmy on someone's dock and got my line broke off on a brick sitting on his dock. As I'm walking away, the owner of the dock comes out of the house and asks me if I want some lures.
    I told him that I just lost one on his dock and he said come get it.

While I'm up there he points to 4 more sitting on a table and says take those too..

I noticed the red one and decided to tie that on. First cast, I get a huge hit, then nothing. Reel it in to find this....

Slide a sexy smelt big hammer on and caught this...

Lost the swimmy to some underwater structure after that.

Tied on the T-rigged camo fluke and nailed this grump...

Moved on down and caught the next 2 or 3 at "1042"

same fish

same fish

I finally get to add a SFC to my list of NPH fish...

Then another Spotty...

And a YFC...

The fish bit pretty good today, lots of short biters too.

Steve and Eddie, I appreciate all the tips you've given me in the past. I've gained alot of valuable knowledge from the two of you who are willing to share not only your experience in NPH but also your spots. Thankyou!!!

Klocked

Dang John, I want to add one of those Spotfin to my species list!
    It was nice seeing you on Sunday, well done!

great day for sure that 16 incher is beast! hopefully 1 day we can get out there together i have yet to catch a yfc or spc from nph >.> soon enough! that top plastic surely wasnt 1 of mine >.>
    Last edited by BrandonFish; 04-20-2010 at 02:01 AM. Reason: mispelled

Ahahahah me and brandon are positive the top red plastic with the curly tail was ours. 3/0 wide gap hook?

Great job on the mixed lot klocked. I see we both use the same california tournament series rod from turners =)

What kind of hook do you use for the texas rigged gulp?

Thanks for the report!

Andrew

Nice back to back trips. I know the grumps took Sunday off but they sure came out to play on Monday!!!!!!

That 16" would have taken half of Eddies money away!

By the way that Chartruese leadhead with the Margarita Curley Tail is mine. I lost it on the first cast after putting it on!

Keep up the great reports!!!!!!

Steve

Very nice report and pics John,
    Once again, thank you for the invite, we will definately hit up the water together real soon.
    If your not busy this Friday, a friend and myself are going to hit up San Onofre and try for some bigger size Leo's or......who know's.
    I'll hit you up on Thursday,
    Robert

Could it be that the SWAT crew poached that area before you got there on Sunday morning? j/k I agree, the shore bite is far more productive in the afternoon.

I don't think you are doing this fish any justice in this pic.

Your hands dwarf the fish! LOL

Nice job out there and congrats on the Spotfin.

Quote Originally Posted by Wingnut View Post
    Dang John, I want to add one of those Spotfin to my species list!
    It was nice seeing you on Sunday, well done!
    Thanks Arthur, the Spotfin was a nice surprise and it was nice seeing you too.

Quote Originally Posted by BrandonFish View Post
    great day for sure that 16 incher is beast! hopefully 1 day we can get out there together i have yet to catch a yfc or spc from nph >.> soon enough! that top plastic surely wasnt 1 of mine >.>
    Thanks Brandon

Quote Originally Posted by Swank909 View Post
    Ahahahah me and brandon are positive the top red plastic with the curly tail was ours. 3/0 wide gap hook?
    Looks like a 2/0 hook to me

Quote Originally Posted by fish_sauce View Post
    Great job on the mixed lot klocked. I see we both use the same california tournament series rod from turners =)

What kind of hook do you use for the texas rigged gulp?

Thanks for the report!

Andrew
    Thanks Andrew, I'm starting to think this Turners rod is kind of weak for the bigger Spotties. They really put a bend in it. I hope it holds up, it's just the right size for those tight areas. I use a 3/0 wide gap(cheap Matzuko's since I lose alot of them).

Quote Originally Posted by flyngby View Post
    Nice back to back trips. I know the grumps took Sunday off but they sure came out to play on Monday!!!!!!

That 16" would have taken half of Eddies money away!

By the way that Chartruese leadhead with the Margarita Curley Tail is mine. I lost it on the first cast after putting it on!

Keep up the great reports!!!!!!

Steve
    Thank you Steve, I'll hold on to your margarita for ya

Quote Originally Posted by murrieta angler View Post
    Very nice report and pics John,
    Once again, thank you for the invite, we will definately hit up the water together real soon.
    If your not busy this Friday, a friend and myself are going to hit up San Onofre and try for some bigger size Leo's or......who know's.
    I'll hit you up on Thursday,
    Robert
    Thanks Robert, we'll fish soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Jaysuuun View Post
    Could it be that the SWAT crew poached that area before you got there on Sunday morning? j/k I agree, the shore bite is far more productive in the afternoon.

I don't think you are doing this fish any justice in this pic.
    Your hands dwarf the fish! LOL

Nice job out there and congrats on the Spotfin.
    Thanks Jason, I think I was able to get there 1st before they hammered that area
    That 1 fish would not hold still, Flopped his way almost back into the water from
    where I was in the photo, tore the top of my thumb up so I held him down....up.
    That Spotfin was a nice change of pace.

GREAT CATCHIN !!! Been seeing so much Preggo perch lately
    first thought that Spottie was Preggo !!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast