Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Do you use single hooks i/o trebles to CPR?

Default Do you use single hooks i/o trebles to CPR?

Just curious what you like to use ... to avoid the destruction that trebles cause. I do tend to use 18-20's ... bronze i/o gold ... and cut the hook off if it's down too far.

Jus curious

if you plan on releasing the fish, use a single hook wherever possible, then pinch the hooks down; ESPECIALLY on trebled lures! You probably shouldn't bait fish, at least use a SINGLE, and if they do swallow it...cut as close to the hook as possible....itll rust away in a few days anyway.

i use single hooks regardless even if im catching fish i have no problem with hooking a trout size 10 owner hook and for small i trout use size 12 or 14

Those Spotted Bay Bass in NPH have so many holes in thier lips from C&R it doesn't matter anymore there.

Think about it.

If a person is concerned about a fishery (fresh or salt) then telling other people about the fish there or going online for some chest pounding 'look at me' posts will only draw others in. Many lurkers will take note and go there with buckets.

That is what happened with hoopnetting. Post after post of guys spilling there guts just to be 'the man'.

Others posting just to sell gear $

End result is the yes on 3 MLPA kelphuggers crowd taking note. DFG too.
    Now we have closed breakwalls, lobster cards. more fuel for closing Ca coastline.
    Heal The Bay's first plan was to close from King Harbor to Long Point (Marineland) and 3 miles out.

THE INTERNET SHOULD BE USED WITH CAUTION AND FISHERMEN SHOULD BE DESCRETE !

Example; Brandonfish and friend caught some Carp all C&R and posted.
    No location given, no giveaway background pics.
    That is proper posting.

My concern is that the fish will be there for myself and others and NOT in some lurkers bucket.

DR

If ur planning on C&R, the first rule of thumb is to crimp all your barbs. Unless you are fishing tournaments and have your daughter's trust fund money on the line, crimp your barbs.

The jerkbaits I fish have been designed to take into consideration the weight of treble hooks and are balanced around the components. Swapping them out for single hooks will affect the action, so I just crimp 'em.

Can't count the number of times I can just shake them off at the boat, rather than pulling them in, and performing surgery for 6 impaled barbs on the fish.

Good suggestions ... thanks mucho