Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carslbad A.M/ NPH Early P.M./ Alisa Viejo Late P.M.

Default Carslbad A.M/ NPH Early P.M./ Alisa Viejo Late P.M.

I had to do some work over in Orange County yesterday for a couple of hours so decided to hit the surf and see what was biting.
    I arrived at Carlsbad at 6:00 sharp to beautiful weather, maybe 5 mph winds, almost no surf and small swells...
    I started working my LC 110 in Sardine for about a mile stretch of beach with no luck at all. I decided to switch rods, that were carolina rigged with 2" grubs in Pumpkin Seed. I didn't get any bites until I was almost all the way back to my starting point by the jetty, South of Tamarack Street,

I ended up getting 4 of these. I started to think it was the same one cause they were only 1/2" apart in size, if that...
    The tide started coming in, along with the wind and surf, so I took off North to take care of my work.

Well now it's 12:00 and I had decided to hit up NPH. My last venture there wasn't to good, but I have to get in on all the fun over there before everyone takes all the SBB, Hali's...etc...You know who you are..Hehe
    I started off on the North side of Lido Island, facing P.C.H. My first stop resulted in nothing, with the exception of a dog barking at me from it's porch.
    I went South to some little playground and into my second cast I get hit, by what I believe is a small Halibut, but I didn't hook it. I tossed it back in the same area and it hit my LC again...but again, no hook up...
    That would be my only bites of the afternoon. I think I covered about a quarter of the island and I was really surprised no one gave me a hard time about me fishing in front of the houses and between their docks.
    I ended the day over in Aliso Viejo. I arrived about 4:00 to huge, shore breaking waves. I decided to take a little nap for about an hour and see if water conditions would change. They didn't, but I decided to try casting out for about an hour with another Carolina Rig with bigger weight and hook....but no luck.
    I decided to call it a day and head home, where dinner just came off the stove and I gobbled it up, took a shower and hit the sack!

Take Care All & God Bless All Of You,
    Robert

a rob sorry not a wide open bite,but you know thats fishing.next time your in np try workin a d/s.gulp alive shad.or slap a leadhead and work it that way.just twitch it off the bottom.good luck next time.

At least you were out fishing . Thanks for your report .

Robert,

Sounds like a very busy day of fishing vs work if you were able to get that much time on the water over that distance of travel!

Congrats on the perches!

Sounds like you worked the island in the OC well. Not to worry here as I seldom even spend any effort there on the boat or on foot!

Also notice that with all the attention that we "you know who we are" bring to the OC that the Spottie and Flattie population is doing very well! The harbor gets a tremendous amount of pressure not only from folks on this site but others as well and there are several organized tournaments in a given year and there are still plenty of fish to be caught due to C&R by those that care!

Good luck out there next time!

Steve

"... almost no surf and small swells..." Sounds like prime Flattie conditions Robert. Too bad none wanted to play. Don't worry, water temperature just hit 60 degrees in most place. Thanks for the report!

Quote Originally Posted by fisherman from long beach View Post
    a rob sorry not a wide open bite,but you know thats fishing.next time your in np try workin a d/s.gulp alive shad.or slap a leadhead and work it that way.just twitch it off the bottom.good luck next time.
    I will definatley try your suggestion next time.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Troutman65 View Post
    At least you were out fishing . Thanks for your report .
    My pleasure.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by flyngby View Post
    Robert,

Sounds like a very busy day of fishing vs work if you were able to get that much time on the water over that distance of travel!

Congrats on the perches!

Sounds like you worked the island in the OC well. Not to worry here as I seldom even spend any effort there on the boat or on foot!

Also notice that with all the attention that we "you know who we are" bring to the OC that the Spottie and Flattie population is doing very well! The harbor gets a tremendous amount of pressure not only from folks on this site but others as well and there are several organized tournaments in a given year and there are still plenty of fish to be caught due to C&R by those that care!

Good luck out there next time!

Steve
    The small amount of time I worked at least paid for my gas and lunch, plus a few bucks for Momma!
    I'm pretty confident that the next time I hit up the harbor that it will be a fruitful day. I will check all sites going into it and tear it up..........hopefully..lol
    Have A Good One Steve,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Wingnut View Post
    "... almost no surf and small swells..." Sounds like prime Flattie conditions Robert. Too bad none wanted to play. Don't worry, water temperature just hit 60 degrees in most place. Thanks for the report!
    It looked awesome!
    My time will come for the elusive, legal hali.
    Take Care Arthur,
    Robert

You sure covered alot of miles Robert. Sorry there weren't more fish willing to play.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast