Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Float Tubing with Fish Finder Help

Default Float Tubing with Fish Finder Help

Hey i am thinking about buying a decent but cheap fish finder to hook up to my tube. does any one have any info on what i should look at?

I have a Humminbird Fishin Buddy 120 and it works well. I would suggest it.

yea get the fishing buddy it's made for tubes and kayaks and other small personal water craft.

I have one of those hummingbird portable fish finders, works great, but I was holding it on my maiden voyage on my tube, clamped to the bar but I was still holding or tiliting it. whats the way/place to mount it better

-bb

Quote Originally Posted by blackberg View Post
    I have one of those hummingbird portable fish finders, works great, but I was holding it on my maiden voyage on my tube, clamped to the bar but I was still holding or tiliting it. whats the way/place to mount it better

-bb
    I have some straps on the side of my tube and just use those. It works alright and you don't need the mount. I have seen some holder things on the internet before.

I've heard a lot about the Fishin Buddy. Mainly because they are basically made for tubes. Just about any fish finder could be used on a tube though. It just takes some ingenuity and PVC. LOL.

Pick up a 1 1/2" or 2" piece of PVC in the length that you feel comfortable with. Probably 12" to 19" long

It is straight-through and you can strap THAT securely to the tube, and place the fishing buddy in it.

It will help distribute the weight.

do you think it is better to use a fishin buddy with pvc pipe or to buy a regular fish finder with the cord that dangle into the water. i have heard that the long tube of the fishing buddy gets in the way while tubing?

Quote Originally Posted by a321eric View Post
    do you think it is better to use a fishin buddy with pvc pipe or to buy a regular fish finder with the cord that dangle into the water. i have heard that the long tube of the fishing buddy gets in the way while tubing?
    The only problem that I have encountered with the pole on the Fishin Buddy is when I am beaching my tube. I have to pull/tilt it up to it doesn't drag along the ground. I think you would have the same problem with the normal fish finder too.

Heres my $99 Humminbird 170 on a Bucks Bag Bullet.
    I have a crossbar so that acts as the main attachment point.
    It comes with a tilt and swivel mount which is screwed to a piece of a broken machine drive belt.
    The bungee cord just holds it down.

Transducer is mounted to a PVC coupling which slips onto the bottom of my existing rod holder.Bungee cord holds it up.
    With the tube unloaded the transducer is out of the water for easy shore launching.
    Loaded it sits a few inches under.It shouldn't be a problem going through weed beds but if it is its comes off real easy.

I go through this crap a lot with it.

The whole unit can come off in 3 seconds though I never have to take it off the tube for wall storage and truck transportation.

I'm still thinking about what I want to due with the extra cable. Humminbird says not to cut it but I know people have done it with no problems in boats. I run 8 AA batteries in a pack. Right now its in a baggie sitting in the coiled wire. This set has gone 7 trips or 44 hours so far. I think it will die on the next trip.

It does what I want which is to read depth and show contour. I'm not too sure about structure. It doesn't show much detail (I didn't really expect it to) and I can't verify whats down there to see if its right.

Overall I'm very happy with it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast