Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alamitos bay report 4/12 and a species I do not know

Default Alamitos bay report 4/12 and a species I do not know

The water was warm the fish seemed to be slamming the BH's. I fished from roughly 5:30 to 7:00. I did ok, I got 3 ok size spotties pretty quick (an 8 inch, 9 inch, and 13 inch). The fourth and last fish I have no idea what it is. I got a couple crappy cell phone pics but have no idea how to transfer them to my computer and post them. From all the books I looked at it looks like some kind of sheepshead. Anyone know what it could have been, it was 14 inches and looked like a barred surf perch only huge and black bars instead of brown and it was deep in the back of Alamitos bay, around the rowing center. Looked like a huge perch but someone probably has some kind of idea what it could have been. All the CA sheepshead I have seen look nothing like it but maybe it was some kind of spawning colors or ...?

Zebra Perch

Google searched it. I think you hit it on the head there badf1sh. Are they always in the back bays or is it just this time of year? It sure fought like a beast, I might have to try for them over spotties.
    Last edited by jsfre; 04-13-2010 at 12:02 AM.

it sound like you got a sargo.

uh Sargo alert. You ever have filet mignon - it tastes nothing like it lol. They are fun to catch though they look like mini roosterfish. You catch them a lot at catalina in super shallow when you are fishing seabass.

No it did not look like that at all, it had lots of black vertical bars. I think it was a zebra perch from the looks of it.

Quote Originally Posted by jsfre View Post
    No it did not look like that at all, it had lots of black vertical bars. I think it was a zebra perch from the looks of it.
    if you e-mail me the pic i will down load it for you....pm coming soon
    robert

Sounds like it could be a "trouthalibut" or a "jaguar shark" but i would need to see the pics to tell.

Whether it was a Sargo or Zebra Perch they can both reach Perchzilla size and give you a run for your money on the light tackle!

Steve

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast