Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How's the fishing at Alondra Park?

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyHappyHooknHawgz View Post
    I havent fished alondra yet this year since i recently moved about 1/2 a mile from el dorado park.. but caught some really nice bass at alondra the past couple years. Heres just a couple of the many hawgz me and a friend have pulled out on both plastics and top water.
    Welcome to the forums OnlyHappyHooknHawgz and thanks for posting those great pics....Now there will be more bass fisherman at my local lake. :)
    Have you been catching anything at Dorado?

brian

Nice bass in the pics, what's up with the quality tho?

Quote Originally Posted by Surfer View Post
    OMG! Those hogs were caught in that oversized swimming pool!
    Alondra Park is fed by Dominguez Creek.
    LA runoff water from S Cental LA.
    MMMNN GOOD. Heavy metals, exhaust dust, brake dust, golf course fertilizers and pesticides too..

DR

Howdy. I found out there was a fishing derby for kids tomorrow at Alondra and I plan on taking my kids. What's the best setup--bait, tackle, etc.--that will give them the best chance of catching something? It doesn't matter what they catch I just want them to have a decent chance of catching something. I just want to see a smile on their faces that evey child gets when they catch their first fish. Thanks for your help =]

Quote Originally Posted by Surfer View Post
    Howdy. I found out there was a fishing derby for kids tomorrow at Alondra and I plan on taking my kids. What's the best setup--bait, tackle, etc.--that will give them the best chance of catching something? It doesn't matter what they catch I just want them to have a decent chance of catching something. I just want to see a smile on their faces that evey child gets when they catch their first fish. Thanks for your help =]
    Hard to say how the fishing will be today as they didn't stock this week that I know of...Probably isn't too many trouts left and I haven't heard of catfish bite yet. Generally the trouts were scattering after stocking last week because of the birds. Then they were schooling up in certain areas, but they were being fished out by a group of guys who were chumming and catching trout all day long for several days. (They were catching 100+ a day) Hopefully there might be a few of the regulars that might be helping the young ones find a good spot.

The best advice I could say is go with very light tackle (2lb test) and really look along the shore for fish. The trout have been really pushed up against the shore.

Also, I've noticed some big bass swimmin up against the shore and they are probably spawning. Might a great chance to throw out some crankbaits or some topwater worms....I'd go for some slow retreive as the bass are still slow right now. Believe it or not, I've been seeing some smaller bass being caught on light tackle, but it's tough. The bass are hungry...I've even seen some hit some bread dough and mini jigs for trout.

Good luck and let us know how today went.

brian

I showed up at the lake around 10am. And was shocked by the sheer number of anglers. I know it was a fishing derby for kids but most of the people fishing were adults! It was pretty much shoulder to shoulder along the entire lake so I didn't even bother. It looked worse than Redondo Pier on a summer day when the bonito and mackerel are running. I saw a few catfish caught and a couple very small trout on stringers. It looked like the event organizers were providing bait which consisted of marshmallows and mealworms. I'll come back another day when its not such a crazy jungle out there.

Depending on whether alondra was stocked with either catfish or trout: for catfish, id use either chicken liver, anchovi or mealworm/marshmallow combo... and if its trout, id use chartruse power bait or any gold blade spinner.

Have you been catching anything at Dorado?
    yea... last week the fishing at dorado was pretty good. only went out twice but caught a couple bass each both times, all in the 2 1/2 -2 3/4 lb range

Hit Alondra up today for the first time in a couple years. It was crowded as heck today, due to a youth fishing derby being held there. It seemed to me there were more adults fishing than youth, but oh well.

The water looked real clean, and I saw a couple of nice fish on their beds and some just cruising the shallows. Theres some nice submerged weed growth on the north part of the lake, too. I ended up only catchin a dink at about 10 inches on a Cultiva crankbait.

I walked through the park around noon time on derby day and saw a guy leaving with his kids. He had a bunch of trout on his stringer. They must have stocked for this event.
    Also saw a small kitty being caught on my way back out.
    Oh yea, tons of people

MAN THE PIC OF THE BRIDGE AND AROUND THE LAKE BRINGS BACK MEMORIES,ITS WHERE I LEARNED HOW TO CATCH BASS WITH LURES,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast