Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Northern Trek B4 the Storm

Default Northern Trek B4 the Storm

Decided to give northern SB a try despite the dismal intel from Q3fishboy (Roy). Predictions were early
    onshores at a steady 15 to 20 knots and rain later in the day. At 05:00 Wingnut and Fishsauce arrived at
    my house and we picked up Bigred on the way. We arrived at our first destination to the exact conditions
    that Roy warned us about and didn't even bother gearing up. The sea looked very angry and there was a bitter
    cold onshore that put us back in our cars to head south in search of a more favorable spot for the day.
    We had to drive 30 miles south to Ventura to find an area that was calm and geared up. We first hit up the
    inside of the harbor which was clear and there was a decent amout of bait in the water as well but it was
    absolutely dead. With water temps hoovering around 55 degrees it's going to take a little warming up still
    to make the harbor come alive. This time we all came prepared to perch it up and so......we did!
    It was WFO on WSP with a BSP's mixed in. 99% of our fish today were pregnant and what was really weird is
    that the ratio of WSP to BSP was about 20 to 1. Usually it's the other way around.
    I wound up with 48 perch in a few hours and most of them were a really nice grade. Bigred had to stop early
    due to a good reel drenching with sandy water but he still got 30 and the trophy BSP of the day. The numbers
    were just as good for Wingnut and Fishsauce as well.I only took two pics of Bigreds largest fish but The other
    guys will add their pics too.
    All fish were caught on carolina rigged crack either red or cammo and the bite stayed steady even though the
    wind and sprinkles came and went throughout the day.

Bigreds "Big Girl" of the day and his PB at about 13".....

Very nice sized prego WSP......Most of the fish were in this class and they were the biggest WSP I've ever
    caught. Kinda funny how different they fight compared to BSP.They hit hard and then sandbag it in most of the way.

It still was a very nice day and the WFO perch bite really saved the day for us since we drove so many miles.
    It was nice to meet Andrew (fishsauce) and once again Arthur.......Thanks for the Lunch you bought all of us at
    Friday's afterwards.

Tight Lines to all ------------<><

Last edited by bones; 04-11-2010 at 06:25 PM.

We really scrambled to salvage what initially looked like a lost cause didn’t we guys…?
    The look on everybody faces as we got out of the car at the first spot was priceless. Staring out at the ocean with white caps and howling winds blowing droplets of rain in our faces… major sadness.
    Roy (Q3Fishboy) and Mikey (Exfactor) warned us about the conditions but we decided to head up there anyways. Afterall, how bad could it be…? Well, we found out the hard way. Adjusting to adversity, the S.W.A.T. Crew shifted gear and made the best out of dismal conditions. The Perch saved the day!

I’ve never caught so many Walleye Surf perch before. I think I caught over thirty Walleye Perch and only one Barred Surf Perch. Really strange because the BSP usually outnumber the Walleye by at least a 10 to 1 ratio. It was pretty much wide open on the Perch and we all had some big numbers with Lucas (Big Red) nailing the biggest Perch of the day. That Perch was as big as your head Lucas! Lol

It was a fun day breaking in our newest S.W.A.T. Crew member. Welcome Andrew (Fish_Sauce) to the Band of Surf Fishing Brothers.

Mike and Lucas, always a pleasure fishing with you guys. Looking forward to our joint adventure to NPH next weekend.

Here are some pics… enjoy.

Andrew, cleaning out my car isn’t part of your initiation buddy.

Andrew breaking the Skunk early with…

What the…?!?

Hey Andrew, you need the Boga Grip? Lol

Catch & release… that’s the S.W.A.T. way.
    Sorry about the beak marks on your arm buddy.

The S.W.A.T. Crew have been infiltrated by Pirates.

Mike is actually wearing his pajamas early while fishing. Lol

My first catch of the day… should have fly-lined this sucker.

Perch fest!

My only BSP… dink.

Andrew fighting a Boiler Perch.

Good times gentlemen… let’s do it again soon!

“Success seems to be largely a matter of hanging on after others have let go.”

Parting shot.
    A “Ginger” drinking Ginger Ale… classic.
    Last edited by Wingnut; 04-11-2010 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Adding pics.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home." ~Roderick Haig-Brown, Fisherman's Spring, 1951

It was indeed a tough day today! Treacherous winds and crazy rips! almost lost my footing a couple of times on loose sand and side sweeping waves, but it was well worth the drive. It was a pleasure fishing with you guys. Thank you again Arthur, for the invite, and everything else! Definitely looking forward to that Catalina trip

Arthur waste deep on our third stop. Plenty of baitfish darting around, but nothing wanted to play

Bones and Bigred were first on the perch hunt. Check out that water!

Mike's WSP's on the red worms

Most had full bellies like this one.

Another shot of Bigred's PB barred surf perch. Congrats bro, that was a real football-grade perch!

An interesting find on the shore...remnants of a huge stone crab.

Wingnut set up base here for quite some time

The perch bite indeed saved the morning for us. I caught quite a few very decent sized WSP's with stomachs full of babies, but didn't bother to take any pictures. Didn't want to stress them out too much to the point of releasing the babies prematurely. My WSP to BSP ratio was around thirty-something to one. Until next time guys, Good luck, and Good fishin'!

Andrew
    Last edited by fish_sauce; 04-11-2010 at 07:53 PM.

Thats a big BSP

How big were the WSP ?
    Any over 1 lb ?
    Thanks, DR

Nice short report Bones.
    That was a nice piggie!
    Robert

Thats one perchy day right there!
    Lucas, that BSP is a toad!!

Nice work Gents!

I see another "Hunting Giants" trip turned into a "Pig Fest"

Just a matter of time before those pics are substituted with some 2 handed Flatties!!!!!!!!

As you guys know I made a Northern Trek myself. My brother and I managed a few short hours hunting some fresh water swimmers that were not cooperating with adverse conditions ourselves.

I did manage to locate a very nice "Ready Room" for the SWAT Team! It is for sale and the owner will include a one time free shipping to a location of our choice!

Till we meet again!

Steve

Good going in tough conditions guys. And the sharks gave you a reprieve too. They closed the Lake to boating today too. Too windy.

WFO perch bites are ridiculously fun when you get into the big units like you guys did. Big Red's big BSP is especially awesome! Sounds like a fun time out there, even if the weather conditions, swells, and halibut sightings were not what the SWAT guys hadn't hoped for. I bet Fish Sauce's boiler perch proved to be a formidable adversary... I know from personal experience that they break your line more often than not. Congrats to all you guys on a solid perch session, and I know the flatty bite is just around the corner! I'm looking forward to joining all of you then. City park bass fishing is fun (except for that 8lb+ follow that snubbed my swimbait today!), but the surf is where the real fun is. I also picked up a new rod to bring pain to the calicos and WSB, and I am anxious to hook up on it.

Marc
    Last edited by bsp; 04-11-2010 at 10:10 PM.

Gotta love those Perch! You guys got some piggies there.
    See you guys next weekend for the SWAT assault of the Newport harbor.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast