Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trouble setting your anchor in rough condidtions?

Default Trouble setting your anchor in rough condidtions?

There is nothing more frustrating than fishing in a strong wind and trying to keep your boat on "the spot". I finally found something that pretty much eliminates the problem of having the strong winds pull up your anchor after you think you have got it set. Check out the link below and watch the video. I bought one of these and tried it out. It works like a champ!

www.drop-n-stay.com/

? I dunno about the product.

But I'll tell you one thing that it seems like most people don't have enough chain.
    When you have enough chain the chain does the work lifting up and down off the ocean bottom.

Some say 1 1/2 times the boat lenght. 20' boat needs 30' of chain.

On my 18' Cuddy Cabin I have 35' of chain and the anchor almost never slips.
    Yes it does make it tougher to pull but it beats going on the rocks.
    DR

Been a lurker for a while but finally have something to contribute.

The drop-n-stay really works. Staying put is never a problem and the ride is much smoother while anchored. Defiitely worth the money.

For you guys that have tried it.
    Are you using it on the ocean with a lot of wind waves and swells or on the lakes when you get those sudden gusts of strong wind-that's when I break loose sometimes.

Thanks, Scott

Edit: I just reread 4 D's post. So wind that occurs on our lakes?
    Last edited by IN2DEEP; 05-03-2010 at 04:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 4_D_ HALIBUT View Post
    There is nothing more frustrating than fishing in a strong wind and trying to keep your boat on "the spot". I finally found something that pretty much eliminates the problem of having the strong winds pull up your anchor after you think you have got it set. Check out the link below and watch the video. I bought one of these and tried it out. It works like a champ!

www.drop-n-stay.com/
    I am getting one of these instead...just push the button and GPS locks in and keeps you in your spot. with no anchor line to tangle those big fish on.
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...-box.jsp.form1
    Last edited by fishfinder; 05-03-2010 at 09:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fishfinder View Post
    I am getting one of these instead...just push the button and GPS locks in and keeps you in your spot. with no anchor line to tangle those big fish on.
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...-box.jsp.form1
    I want 1 but i cant afford 6 marine batteries

Quote Originally Posted by Hometown View Post
    i sit on a spot for 5-6 hours now, and only use half my bettery. the minn kota digitals pulse system really last a long time. But i will be adding 1 more battery. I will have mine in about 3 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Hometown View Post
    Let alone the trolling motor and GPS unit itself! It'd sure be nice though!

Quote Originally Posted by TaperSteve View Post
    Let alone the trolling motor and GPS unit itself! It'd sure be nice though!

I am also wondering how well that will hold up to the pounding a boat goes through. Hopefully better then the Auto Pilot but I doubt it.

I will let others be the guinea pig on this one and stick with anchors and a $25 drop-n-stay which I know works!

only $400 if you already have the trolling motor. i have heard nothing but great reviews on it. I will post one here when i get back from the sierras in june.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast