Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Inflatable Raft Help

Default Inflatable Raft Help

So i have one of these rafts

http://www.bidtopia.com/items/424053...nflatable-boat

and it has a trolling motor mount.
    This is the motor they recommend i think
    http://www.campmor.com/sevylor-troll...ci_sku=29089WC

I read that the motor is not for saltwater. What happens if i do use it in saltwater?
    What other brands offer a smaller trolling motor similar like this that is okay for saltwater?
    Also do you think this raft is big enough to patrol calm areas of NPH and Alamitos bay with 2 people?

THanks,
    Ryan

IDK about the boat besides that it doesnt look safe for the salt IHMO....but I do have a minn kota I got for a great price at wall mart. Check out their (.com) ad's, you can find some great deals. I use mine everytime, mainly fishing salt....and had it for almost 2 years. Just make sure you rinse it thoroughly with freshwater after every trip and it will last you.

Ryan, we have a basic Minn Kota 30lbs thrust trolling motor on our inflatable. It's not recommended for saltwater, but I rinse it off with freshwater after each use and it works just fine. Just make sure to clean it after each trip and you should be fine. We got ours at sports chalet for about $99.

I think you'll do just fine in your inflatable as long as you stick within calmer waters like the harbors. Just make sure you have some PFD's on board. Also pickup a small mushroom anchor so you can keep your inflatable still on windy days. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Jaysuuun; 04-04-2010 at 09:40 PM.

I have a fresh water Minnkota I use for salt. Besides PFD's you will need a paddle or oars, whistle or horn.

Keep in mind you will need to register the boat at the DMV and have CF numbers if you put any motor on it (gas or elect).
    DR

Quote Originally Posted by DockRat View Post
    I have a fresh water Minnkota I use for salt. Besides PFD's you will need a paddle or oars, whistle or horn.

Keep in mind you will need to register the boat at the DMV and have CF numbers if you put any motor on it (gas or elect).
    DR

Ditto on all the above............
    Also get and use Salt X on the mtr all the time ASAP, not the next day.. The damage is done by then...
    Saltwater is like acid it is so corrosive to some metals...

You are a Watercraft in Calif....
    Also need to Register if not Manually operated (that includes elect trolling mtrs)...

Here is one of a zillion sites on google with Info you need to know..
    http://www.boatus.org/onlinecourse/s...alifornia.html

I would definitely NOT buy that trolling motor. Only 18lbs of thrust? Like others have mentioned, a Minn Kota 30lb trolling motor would be a good route to go.