Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Marina Del Rey

Default Marina Del Rey

Hey guys,

Recently me and my buddies got into cycling, just for fun. We ride about 20 miles a day, and let me tell you, this is a good way to find NEW fishing spots. After seeing so many good spots on our first run, i convinced my friends to make pole stands for our bike, so we did. We never fished Marina Del Rey, so we tried it out. After about 1 1/2 we ended up with 1 Bat Ray, and 3 spooled out reels (50 lb test). If your looking for a good fight, you should try it out here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bat ray..jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	7.8 KB 
ID:	21519  

3 spooled reels .daaammmmnnnn.sound like fun.

Quote Originally Posted by fisherman from long beach View Post
    3 spooled reels .daaammmmnnnn.sound like fun.
    That was only the first night.. heres the count...

FIRST NIGHT: 1 bat ray 3 spooled (50 lb mono) ( 80 lb braided was what caught the bat)

SECOND NIGHT: 0 fish 2 spooled (60 lb mono) (forgot the braided)... only fished for 30 mins, because after that, we had no line on our reels

THIRD NIGHT: 0 fish 3 spooled (60 lb mono) (forgot the braided) only fished for 45 mins, no more line again...

OBVIOUSLY only the 80lb braid worked haha used conventional reels the whole time... still only 80lb braid works...

Nice bat ray Taiko,
    Loosen the drag Bro!

Quote Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
    That was only the first night.. heres the count...

FIRST NIGHT: 1 bat ray 3 spooled (50 lb mono) ( 80 lb braided was what caught the bat)

SECOND NIGHT: 0 fish 2 spooled (60 lb mono) (forgot the braided)... only fished for 30 mins, because after that, we had no line on our reels

THIRD NIGHT: 0 fish 3 spooled (60 lb mono) (forgot the braided) only fished for 45 mins, no more line again...

OBVIOUSLY only the 80lb braid worked haha used conventional reels the whole time... still only 80lb braid works...
    NICE!!!

Your kinda lucky that they went straight out and spooled, as opposed to some that go under the dock and shred your line... If you had braid then you woulda landed maybe all of them! Thats why they are called Mud Marlin... I love just hearing the clicker burnnnnn....ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ is my favorite tune! lol Good job on landing at least one Ray man!

what kind of reels are you guys using must be some toads. Thanks for the post nice bat ray

Bigred

Quote Originally Posted by murrieta angler View Post
    Nice bat ray Taiko,
    Loosen the drag Bro!
    Thanks, Theres no point in loosening the drag if theres no LINE!!! haha thats how fast and long their first run was, if i were to tighten it at all during his run i would have lost my rod....i have caught my fair share of bat rays... the ones at Marina Del Rey are on crack LOL and the one i did land was a baby compared to the ones that were hooked on... next time i go out there ill record my spool, and u can be the judge. Thanks guys

Quote Originally Posted by murrieta angler View Post
    Nice bat ray Taiko,
    Loosen the drag Bro!
    ???

Tighten it down.

If you bust off before it hits the spool then you get your line back, when it breaks at the hook.

Let it get spooled all the way to the last wrap and it will snap at the spool.

Thats why guys tighten down the drag near the end and then thumb the spool and bust off with a few wraps left.
    DR
    Last edited by DockRat; 04-02-2010 at 06:40 AM. Reason: x

Nice Job on the mud marlin. I had one pull me around in the float tube the other day. It was fun for a little while, then I got a little irritated because it was taking away from my bass fishing time. So I gave up and clipped the line.