Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Setting Your Drag?

Default Setting Your Drag?

What method do you use to set the drag on a spinning reel? I've always gone by feel.

Same here...

Anyone here actually attach weights or use a drag tester (if anything like that exists) anything else???

I have always gone by feel as well. I like to be able to pull line with medium pressure to start with. The best is to get used to controlling your drag during the fight on a per fish basis. Sometimes I just hand feed the drag if it is a large fish.

Check out videos of pro Mike Iaconelli... He is in my opinion one of the best spinning reel fisherman. You don't want to lose the fish but check this out as an example to hand feeding drag... Pretty cool stuff!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvdQYnnr1s4

FYI: drag tester = chatillon scale.

Unless you fish really big game in the salt, or are after an IFGA record, you don't need one. (not that they are expensive anyway).

That Ike video is awesome!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AmBASSador View Post
    I have always gone by feel as well. I like to be able to pull line with medium pressure to start with. The best is to get used to controlling your drag during the fight on a per fish basis. Sometimes I just hand feed the drag if it is a large fish.

Check out videos of pro Mike Iaconelli... He is in my opinion one of the best spinning reel fisherman. You don't want to lose the fish but check this out as an example to hand feeding drag... Pretty cool stuff!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvdQYnnr1s4
    I hand feed line to the fish when I am fighting anything big and I think the drag is too tight. It works really well.

i go by what feels right for the lines strenth

I just use braid and button down my drag and winch the fish in.

Drag? At this time of year, I just point out every big female I see swimming in the shallows and my good buddy Bigfoot jumps in and DRAGS it out. MMMM...bass tacos...

However, when I am using rod and reel, I go by feel.

i set it really light and then slowly tighten it as im fighting the fish tell i get to were i can reel it in and the fish can take line if it wants to

but then again im a uber noob so i dont know if im even close to doing it right.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast