Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Trolling Motor and Battery Help

If I were you I would spend a little more and get a 24 volt trolling motor. My first boat had a 12 Volt trolling motor and I thought I was happy. Then I upgraded to a 24 volt system and I was amazed at the difference, not only in power but how long I could use them, even on windy Lake Isabella. I thought about going with a 36 volt but didnt have the room for the 4th battery.

My current boat has a 36 volt, 109lb thrust MG Tour with 4 Optima SC31DM batteries with a 4 bank charger. I have ran the trolling motor for 2 days straight without recharging when I was unable to find an outlet to plug into
    Last edited by Bassnman Mike; 03-27-2010 at 12:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bassnman Mike View Post
    If I were you I would spend a little more and get a 24 volt trolling motor. My first boat had a 12 Volt trolling motor and I thought I was happy. Then I upgraded to a 24 volt system and I was amazed at the difference, not only in power but how long I could use them, even on windy Lake Isabella. I thought about going with a 36 volt but didnt have the room for the 4th battery.

My current boat has a 36 volt, 109lb thrust MG Tour with 4 Optima SC31DM batteries with a 4 bank charger. I have ran the trolling motor for 2 days straight without recharging when I was unable to find an outlet to plug into
    Wouldn't I be able to use a 12v with two batteries and get just as much usage time out of it? I don't think anything 24v is only a little more; I think it is quite a bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Ball View Post

I'm not going to need any backup batteries. I will have two for the trolling motor and then one for the fish finder and motor. I have an 80 hp outboard. I've never had any problems and I could always hand start the motor if I had to.
    Good, sounds like your ready to go. Wire them + to + and - to - with the same size wire or bigger as the trolling motor.
    8 gauge should be fine.
    DR

Thanks DR. I am thinking about getting a 55 lb thrust bow mount for $70 more. Is it definitely worth it? How long do you think the battery should last in calm conditions? I am definitely getting a second battery (separate from the one for fish finder and starting the motor), but should I get third too?
    if you are looking st the minnkota powerdrive 55 lb thrust, http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...001000_225-1-2 thats what i have. got on amason.com for $489, no tax, free shipping.
    PROS: its some kind of digital pulse system that helps the battery run all day. had 3 years with no problems. Cons: foot pedal sucks, hard to deploy. I am happy with it cause all you can get is motor guide for the same price, and they had bad reviews.
    i have a deep cell from autozone that cost about 60-80 bucks. usually last me a 3 day camping trip.

Quote Originally Posted by fishfinder View Post
    if you are looking st the minnkota powerdrive 55 lb thrust, http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...001000_225-1-2 thats what i have. got on amason.com for $489, no tax, free shipping.
    PROS: its some kind of digital pulse system that helps the battery run all day. had 3 years with no problems. Cons: foot pedal sucks, hard to deploy. I am happy with it cause all you can get is motor guide for the same price, and they had bad reviews.
    i have a deep cell from autozone that cost about 60-80 bucks. usually last me a 3 day camping trip.
    Yes, that is what I was looking at getting from Amazon. Thanks for the pros and cons.

Wouldn't I be able to use a 12v with two batteries and get just as much usage time out of it? I don't think anything 24v is only a little more; I think it is quite a bit more.
    Im no expert, but I hear that a 24v system is vastly superior to having a 12v and an extra battery for when the first one runs out.

you can also get a 12 volt and run 2 batteries in a series.

Here's the goods. Also I forgot to let you know about the onboard charger. I bought this one on amazon too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SDC11585.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	93.3 KB 
ID:	21483   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SDC11603..jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	21484   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SDC11600..jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	73.3 KB 
ID:	21485  
    Last edited by fishfinder; 03-30-2010 at 09:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fishfinder View Post
    Here's the goods. Also I forgot to let you know about the onboard charger. I bought this one on amazon too.
    How long is the part of the mount that is connected to the boat? Just the part touching the boat. I need to make sure that it is going to fit.

i got the guest 2611a which i bought for 2 batteries, but you can save some money and get the 2608a and save $40, it will just charge 1 battery.
    Product Features

• Dual marine battery charger for 12- and 24-volt batteries
    • 3-stage electronic switching circuit; 5 amps per output
    • Includes two 4-foot DC cables with ring terminals
    • 6-foot AC cable offers ConnectCharge plug
    • Measures 7.75 x 5.5 x 2.42 inches (W x H x D) The alumanum 1/4 plate i mounted under it was cause i wasn't sure how hot it would get. it's about an inch or so wider than the charger on all edges. these chargers have the best reviews i have found. dont buy the basspro chargers.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product $96

http://www.amazon.com/Guest-2608A-Ba...ef=pd_sim_sg_1 $53

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast