Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trolling Motor and Battery Help

Default Trolling Motor and Battery Help

I am going to get a trolling motor for my boat and it is an old 16 or 17 ft tri hull. I was looking at a 45 lb thrust bow mount Minn Kota because I can get a good deal on it. Is that going to be enough? Should I definitely go with bow mount or could I use a transom mount since they are cheaper and easier to install? Also, what should I do as far as batteries and chargers and everything? Thanks.

It'll work just fine firecrotch...lmao

Do you have 1 or 2 batteries now ? Use a separate battery for the troller.

You could wire the trolling motor battery into your main battery so you can charge it when motoring under gas.
    Then put a switch on the positive wire off the trolling motor battery going to the boat battery so you can seperate it when turned off.
    Then when your under power with the trolling motor you won't draw power from the boat battery so it will start and you won't be SOL.

Also you will be able to tell people you now have a Hybrid Boat
    Gas, Electric or both
    DR

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Ball View Post
    I was looking at a 45 lb thrust bow mount Minn Kota because I can get a good deal on it. Is that going to be enough? Should I definitely go with bow mount or could I use a transom mount since they are cheaper and easier to install? Also, what should I do as far as batteries and chargers and everything? Thanks.
    Missed a couple questions.

I put a 45 Minn Kota on a 17' Walk around cuddy with a big 275 lb 10 leg aluminum T Top with a 150 V6 Jonhson, 40 gals of gas, bait tank ect. It pushes it at a couple mph depending on conditions. Pretty slow but fine for pushing around the kelp or staying off the wall.

I trickle charge the trolling motor before I go. Bow or transom depending on where you fish.
    Good Luck, DR

Thanks DR. I am thinking about getting a 55 lb thrust bow mount for $70 more. Is it definitely worth it? How long do you think the battery should last in calm conditions? I am definitely getting a second battery (separate from the one for fish finder and starting the motor), but should I get third too?

You want a bow mount. And if you can, get 2 batteries and a 24v TM...it will last you all day. Usually a 12v system will start to die by the end of the day (depending on usage and conditions of course).

So, best case scenario is a 24v with 2 batteries, and all the thrust you can afford.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalSteve View Post
    You want a bow mount. And if you can, get 2 batteries and a 24v TM...it will last you all day. Usually a 12v system will start to die by the end of the day (depending on usage and conditions of course).

So, best case scenario is a 24v with 2 batteries, and all the thrust you can afford.
    I will probably get 55 lb thrust and two batteries. I want to be able to use it on the Lagoon all day sometimes.

Make sure it is a 24v motor then...

Keep in mind in you go 24 v you need two 12 v batteries wired together in series.

Pos to neg and neg to pos will give you 24 v.

I run 3 batteries.
    1 for the 12 v troller (all alone, troller only).
    1 marine starting battery that just sits stand by for emergency only.
    1 deep cycle to run everything (main battery)

My Perko switch stays on #2. Some guys run on 'both' but then you run the risk of draining the batteries and being SOL.

My buddies 1 year old 24' Bayrunner Ranger ($80,000) Merc 250 would not start at Catalina after 4 hours on his 24 v troller.
    Keep in mind he is running 3 bait tanks, VHF, Sirus FM satellite, Huge Lowrance FF/GPS and after a night crossing and running some lights. We had to call Vessel Assist for a jump. 3 hour wait.
    The dudes got 6 batteries. Left bank, Right bank, or both.
    He always runs it on both.

Had he 1 emergency battery alone not running nothing. We could have started it.

Going on a lake is alot less worries, but if you have room for stand by emergency battery not running nothing,
    then you will have that starting power when you need it. You could use a car battery for the stand by emergency battery.

Some guys think it may be overkill or too much weight.

What size motor do you have ?
    DR
    Last edited by DockRat; 03-27-2010 at 05:13 AM. Reason: x

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalSteve View Post
    Make sure it is a 24v motor then...
    I think I'm just going to get a 12v and then get two batteries for it. All of the 24v ones are too expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by DockRat View Post
    Keep in mind in you go 24 v you need two 12 v batteries wired together in series.

Pos to neg and neg to pos will give you 24 v.

I run 3 batteries.
    1 for the 12 v troller (all alone, troller only).
    1 marine starting battery that just sits stand by for emergency only.
    1 deep cycle to run everything (main battery)

My Perko switch stays on #2. Some guys run on 'both' but then you run the risk of draining the batteries and being SOL.

My buddies 1 year old 24' Bayrunner Ranger ($80,000) Merc 250 would not start at Catalina after 4 hours on his 24 v troller.
    Keep in mind he is running 3 bait tanks, VHF, Sirus FM satellite, Huge Lowrance FF/GPS and after a night crossing and running some lights. We had to call Vessel Assist for a jump. 3 hour wait.
    The dudes got 6 batteries. Left bank, Right bank, or both.
    He always runs it on both.

Had he 1 emergency battery alone not running nothing. We could have started it.

Going on a lake is alot less worries, but if you have room for stand by emergency battery not running nothing,
    then you will have that starting power when you need it. You could use a car battery for the stand by emergency battery.

Some guys think it may be overkill or too much weight.

What size motor do you have ?
    DR
    I'm not going to need any backup batteries. I will have two for the trolling motor and then one for the fish finder and motor. I have an 80 hp outboard. I've never had any problems and I could always hand start the motor if I had to.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast