Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: lagoon, late report

Quote Originally Posted by Marine_Michael View Post
    If everyone would put as much effort into cleaning up all the trash around the lake as they do arguing about catch and release the lake would be a paradise.
    I second that and would be glad to take a day out of my life and for a lagoon clean up day....whos in???

Lagoon clean up list
    1. Fishbones

Quote Originally Posted by Marine_Michael View Post
    I've seen this whole Catch and Release argument dozens of times before on this and other forums. I only recently started fishing for them and have found that I enjoy it. I generally fish for those species that I will actually take home to eat, stripers, catfish, crappie, trout.

I understand and agree with those of you that catch and release your bass. That being said, I want to point out that recently changes were made to the Castaic website clarifying that the size and take limit for the lagoon is 5 bass at 12+ inches. The limit is 2 bass over 18 inches for the upper lake. The DFG just had biologists doing studies at both lakes because of that whole trout stocking lawsuit and now the limit for the lagoon has changes. Could it be that the studies showed an overpopulation of bass in the lake? Could it be that the limit was changed to "thin the herd" and thereby create an abundance of forage food for the remaining bass, that will then grow bigger faster?

If everyone would put as much effort into cleaning up all the trash around the lake as they do arguing about catch and release the lake would be a paradise.
    No, the limit was never changed for the Lagoon. It was wrong on the website for a long time and they just corrected it on the website a couple months ago. I was one of the reasons why they got it clarified. They did not do any studies for the regulations recently either. That was all looking for protected species to complete the EIR. Also, believe me, there is already an abundance of forage in the Goon
    Last edited by Fire Ball; 03-24-2010 at 10:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Ball View Post
    No, the limit was never changed for the Lagoon. It was wrong on the website for a long time and they just corrected it on the website a couple months ago. I was one of the reasons why they got it clarified. They did not do any studies for the regulations recently either. That was all looking for protected species to complete the EIR. Also, believe me, there is already an abundance of forage in the Goon
    Thank you for clarifying the limit situation.

FishLA, Congrats on your first Goon bass! Don't let the "only catch and release" crowd get to you. They bought into the B.A.S.S. promotion, which really doesn't deal with everyday anglers, it's about tournement guys that yank a ton of bass out of the water in a weekend. Personally, I only keep what I'm going to eat, but catch and hot grease is not only a legitamate method, it's actually good for the management of the fish. That's why they have limits. Catch and release guys are concerned about their benefit of catching bigger bass, even though if everyone did C&R the bass would overcrowd and become stunted. Catch and hot grease guys do more for the health of the fishery.

Quote Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
    I second that and would be glad to take a day out of my life and for a lagoon clean up day....whos in???

Lagoon clean up list
    1. Fishbones
    if there is some fishing after the clean up, then I'm up for it. XD

ImHo---this is why i dont post up reports bragging that the lagoon bite is hot....

Other than that, thanks for the report and pics,...nice chunk for sure.
    Last edited by JSAUCE818; 03-25-2010 at 06:19 AM.

Dude, first off let me clarify that I do support Catch and Release of bass myself, ESPECIALLY when it comes to spawning females but I will not slam anyone, that at times, wants to keep a legally caught bass, just my opinion. I do have a rule that I strictly enforce to anyone that boards my boat which is ANY bass over 5 pounds will have to be set free or they will not be allowed to fish with me on my boat. While I would prefer that they release all bass caught, if they want to keep a couple for dinner I wont complain.

I remember a little while back taking my nephew on Pyramid and he caught a couple of bass that were about 15 inches long that he wanted to keep so we placed them in the live well and set the aerator to auto. Through out the day as I caught and released bass as well as the other person on the boat we talked about the importance of C&R but said nothing directed at him or made no attempt to make him feel bad for wanting to keep his bass At the end of the day as we were approaching the launch ramp he said that he wanted to let them go, I asked him if he was sure and he said yes. The smile on his face as he watched them swim away was priceless.

Anyhow, I’m not sure if your statement is true or not. I just copied the below directly from the Official Castaic Lake Web Site, its listed in at least 2 places on their site so either they are wrong or you are.

Dec. 8 - Clarification: Fishing Limits on Lower Lake (Lagoon), for Black Bass is a limit of 5 fish, at 12 inches.

Check it out, eggs and all...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmYVyuRhM5U

Quote Originally Posted by Bassnman Mike View Post
    Dude, first off let me clarify that I do support Catch and Release of bass myself, ESPECIALLY when it comes to spawning females but I will not slam anyone, that at times, wants to keep a legally caught bass, just my opinion. I do have a rule that I strictly enforce to anyone that boards my boat which is ANY bass over 5 pounds will have to be set free or they will not be allowed to fish with me on my boat. While I would prefer that they release all bass caught, if they want to keep a couple for dinner I wont complain.

I remember a little while back taking my nephew on Pyramid and he caught a couple of bass that were about 15 inches long that he wanted to keep so we placed them in the live well and set the aerator to auto. Through out the day as I caught and released bass as well as the other person on the boat we talked about the importance of C&R but said nothing directed at him or made no attempt to make him feel bad for wanting to keep his bass At the end of the day as we were approaching the launch ramp he said that he wanted to let them go, I asked him if he was sure and he said yes. The smile on his face as he watched them swim away was priceless.

Anyhow, I’m not sure if your statement is true or not. I just copied the below directly from the Official Castaic Lake Web Site, its listed in at least 2 places on their site so either they are wrong or you are.

Dec. 8 - Clarification: Fishing Limits on Lower Lake (Lagoon), for Black Bass is a limit of 5 fish, at 12 inches.
    What? Are you saying I slammed him? Anyway, they never changed the limit for the Lagoon. It has been 5 fish at 12 in for a really long time (pretty sure forever). The website just recently updated it because of one of my report where we had 5 bass each in the livewell with Butch Brown and people were complaining and stuff saying we had too many because the website was wrong. Later the website was fixed to reflect the actual regulations when Butch told them about it. I'm not saying the site is wrong, because it is right. It WAS wrong, before they fixed it in December.

What? Are you saying I slammed him?
    Maybe not this time but you can be brutal at times. I've also noticed that you have quoted your opinion as fact sometimes. IMHO, you could tone it down a little. Truthfully, I admire your dedication and drive to the sport of fishing, it's great to see the youth of today getting involved in fishing and conservation with all of the bad influences out there. Dont take this personal but believe it or not, you still have alot to learn, as do all of us. Even the Pros on the Bassmasters circut learn something new every time they fish.

Anyway, they never changed the limit for the Lagoon. It has been 5 fish at 12 in for a really long time (pretty sure forever). The website just recently updated it because of one of my report where we had 5 bass each in the livewell with Butch Brown and people were complaining and stuff saying we had too many because the website was wrong. Later the website was fixed to reflect the actual regulations when Butch told them about it. I'm not saying the site is wrong, because it is right. It WAS wrong, before they fixed it in December.
    Oh OK, I'm sorry that I miss-understood your reply.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast