Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: first time at corona

Wassup troutguy26, sorry to hear about the rough day at Corona....if it makes you feel any better you are not the only one who got skunked today. I was out there with troutchaser and we wore our the big white stripe as well. If it was my first time out there, Corona would not have left a very favorable impression on me either. The wind was straight nasty and unrelenting today, it seemed to be the reason all that loose moss was floating around today as well. I have had some incredible days out there, we just happen to hit it on the wrong day.

In Corona's defense the stocking issue was not a matter of false advertising, but the result of the stocking truck breaking down( thats what some of the regulars had told me while chatting up front on the way out...ish happens I guess). We watched the lake truck prep the tube in anticipation of the truck arriving, but sometimes things are just not meant to be. Word has it they are doing double stockings twice this week.

My advice is to give it another try, hopefully it will be less windy...even with the wind "guys in the know" were able to scratch out some nice stringers of browns adjacent to the courtesy dock area. If I could share one piece of advice based on last season's experience, don't be afraid to fish EXTREMELY short leaders as the water heats up....this is what happend last April as a result for BoxLobster, PoxyBoggards and myself....

Hang in there and keep in mind "that's fishing for ya sometimes"

TD
    Last edited by troutdog; 03-23-2010 at 11:14 PM.

thanks TD..were u in a boat that was by the stock area? i was on shore fer the morning.in that same area.lifted white truck..had a red shirt on with black sweats?? anyways..thanks for the advice.im gunna need to let my back account get money back in it before i can head out there again.lol

TG26

Dont feel bad bro I finally broke the ol corona skunk last friday, despite being windy as hell I landed 2 3lbers on the south shore. I was beginning to think the lake was all hype but gave it a chance. I just think with corona you just got to dial that lake in then you'll catch cuz at SARL ive always caught something :) Me n my Pops went back on monday and got skunked.

sorry to hear hear about your hard luck at corona lake, they generally stock on wednesday or thursday, therefore thursdays and fridays are your best days to fish at corona lake, becuase saturdays and sundays are just loaded with pressure, so if u give it one more try , do it on a friday, u should be able to scratch out a limit or two, good luck and tight lines

Funny--yesterday was my first time at Corona too. I didn't catch a thing and yet had an awesome time! In the morning the lake was like glass and the bite was slow. Trout Dog and I moved to several spots that looked likely--with no luck. I lost one Thomas Bouyant and a C-rig to the lake gods. I had one fish on over near the east shore; felt small and might have been a crappie. I didn't set the hook properly and lost it.

As TD reported it did get windy about 11:30. When the wind came up it was indeed nasty. There were white caps several times and small rollers (the kind of wind that would have made those pussies at Castaic make everyone get off the lake!) At one point the wind dragged us from where we anchored at the stocking area halfway back to the boat dock in less than 10 minutes. I think we saw more of the lake anchored than when actually motoring around it! It also churned up the algae, which made for some very hard fishing. There were two boats in our vicinity that each picked up a fish in a two hour period. That was it.

Otherwise, I have to say I had a swell day. Trout Dog is great company and we had lots of laughs and good conversation. The scenery there is beautiful right now, too. I know some guys are just into fishing for the fish, but personally I look at all water time as an education. You learn something new every time you go out whether you are catching fish or not. And anytime spent outdoors isn't a waste. It's all a matter of attitude and how you choose to look at things.

Hope you change your mind about Corona--it can and has produced some awesome catches. Luck of the draw that yesterday wasn't one of them. But I plan to fish there again as soon as I can.
    Last edited by Trout-Chaser; 03-24-2010 at 08:24 AM.

thanks trout-chaser...very good advice.. i was just crazy about the money i spent there..im sure ill give it a try sometime..prolly next winter cuz this winter my funds are gone..lol i guess i need to hook up with one of u corona folks to get me onto some fish..im more of a shore guy but if thats a boat lake then maybe ill have to do that..idk

Sorry you had a rough day out there, but to just come onto a public forum and blast Corona because you had one bad outing is juvenile. Just like any lake, there are days when the fish want to bite really well, and others when they go on lock jaw.

Try putting in the time and effort to learn how to fish a lake before you bash it. If your report had said that I have been there a few times and not caught anything, then I and several others would have probably sent you a PM with some advice on how to get onto the fish out there, but now you're not going to get any tips from me, and I kind of think that your a douche.

[/QUOTE]Try putting in the time and effort to learn how to fish a lake before you bash it. If your report had said that I have been there a few times and not caught anything, then I and several others would have probably sent you a PM with some advice on how to get onto the fish out there, but now you're not going to get any tips from me, and I kind of think that your a douche.[/QUOTE]

What is a public forum if people cant speak there mind, I know troutguy26 hes a good fishermen i dont think his problem was with the fishing, it was with the price. Whats with you being so sensitive about corona if you dont wana give advice thats fine but this is a public forum and his bashing of corona is no worst than you calling him a douche. By the way troutguy26 yucaipa gets a lassen stock friday and its only 10 bucks.

[/QUOTE]What is a public forum if people cant speak there mind, I know troutguy26 hes a good fishermen i dont think his problem was with the fishing, it was with the price. Whats with you being so sensitive about corona if you dont wana give advice thats fine but this is a public forum and his bashing of corona is no worst than you calling him a douche. By the way troutguy26 yucaipa gets a lassen stock friday and its only 10 bucks.[/QUOTE]

I never have a problem with people speaking their minds. My real problem with TG's original post is that he doesn't really give any report to go along with the bash. Sure, say I went, paid 22 bucks and didn't feel like I got my money's worth. But don't say that the lake is D U M B, because you didn't happen to catch any fish. Was anyone else catching? What tactics were used (What didn't work)? Where on the lake did you fish? Make the report useful to other anglers, not just a whiney rant.

When you bash Corona or SARL, you're actually bashing one of the main sponsors of this site. Their sponsorship helps keep FNN free for all of us fishermen.

When you bash Corona or SARL, you're actually bashing one of the main sponsors of this site. Their sponsorship helps keep FNN free for all of us fishermen.[/QUOTE]

So are we supposed to say the lake is great when its not??? Also you say you hve no problem with people speaking there minds but someone cant say a lake is dumb, that makes no sense!!!! No disrespect......

Trout 1

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast