Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Castaic Lagoon 3/21/10

Default Castaic Lagoon 3/21/10

Got there a little late (7:30) and was fishing by 7:45. There were already a lot of boats on the water and a few tubes.
    Water Temp: 59
    Air temp: about 45 in the AM
    Partly cloudy/hazy.

Didn't get a bite till after 11:00. Fished Paradise cove to the middle of the Swim Beach (and got fish in all the coves). Metered fish on the bottom and suspended in the morning between 20 and 45 feet. When these moved shallower they started to bite. All fish were caught from 11:30 - 3:00 PM between 5 and 12 feet of water except for one male that was looking for love on the beginnings a a nest and wouldn't budge.

8 LMB caught between 1 and 3+ pounds. The two in the 3 pound range were females with eggs. All took the baits deep so I think they are mostly pre-spawn and chowing down (that and their tails and bellies weren't rubbed). Caught two on crawlers, four on six inch Oxbloods, one on six inch Aron's and the nest sitter on a shad colored Zipper.

What worked best was to look for shallow fish and watch them move deeper (or find likely nesting spots). Go directly inshore from them and cast out at least 30 feet and VERY slowly retrieve. Strikes were soft but they did not want to let go of the bait.

Sorry, no photos. I'm not taking a camera out there till I get a water proof one or a new tube (I'm the old guy fishing from the beat up 11 year old float tube).

Tight lines all,
    --Ed

sounds lie a great day for ya man. Congrats!!!!

It seems like everyone was catching them this weekend. Good job!

Sounds like it was a good day. Nice job ! Any pics ?

Quote Originally Posted by LuvThymetal View Post
    Sounds like it was a good day. Nice job ! Any pics ?
    Sorry, phone was in the car (there's a chance my tube might sink, didn't want to get it wet). I'll get a water proof camera soon and have pix during later adventures. ;-)

No problem man. Looking forward for those pics next time though. Have fun =]

thanks for the report, it's time for me to get my license so I think I'll tube the lagoon thursday

NICE!!! Looks like it's time for me to get out there.
    Might go tomorrow w/my 'toon.
    Robert.

NICE!!! Looks like it's time for me to get out there.
    Might go tomorrow w/my 'toon.
    Thanks for the post.
    Robert.