Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: 72nd st Jetty.... 3/21 @ "my Rock"

Default 72nd st Jetty.... 3/21 @ "my Rock"

Hello again.
    If you've seen my other reports you know i've been fishing the 72nd street jetty for the last 4 times i've been fishing. So far it's been very nice to me.

Today i got there around 1pm before high tide this time, instead of low tide like the other times.
    I set up my girlfriend with a rod that had ghost shrimp on it and debated which color swimbait i should throw first.

I went with the ol' faithful 3" Keylime BH with a chart. 1/4oz lead head.
    I find "My Rock" (i've worked the same 30yrds of rocks at the jetty each time i've been. There's this rock, i swear every time i stand on it i can get one !)

First cast i throw it a little up current and let it fall. I'm steady reeling it on the bottom feeling the little bumps and things and i feel this nice thump, and then let him feel the steel.
    HE'S ON!
    First cast, one fish, and when i bend down to pick him up outta the water he gets a little air born and shreds the 8lb stren in half.... He's gone... with a 3" keylime stuck in his lip.

Few casts later on "my Rock" i'm into another fish... you'll never guess... the same thing happends. Darn thing shook his head and off he went with a 3.5" swimmie in his mouth.

My girlfriend had a few missed bites on the ghost shirmp. I just started to relax a bit and let the fish get back into there spots so i can get em again. Rebaited my girls pole and she says, throw it far out for her, so i did. As I'm reeling some slack i feel a tug, so i tug back and pull in the biggest smelt i've ever caught about 14 inches.

Got back into the swimbaits a little while later and missed a few bites, and nailed another spottie.
    This time i decided not to mess around one bit... get the fish, thumb him and take a picture so he can be put back!
    This is the same size as the previous two lost fishes

I ended up losing 3 swimbaits in the rocks today due to snags. I was getting bummed out so i was taking ten casts, and then watching a ghost shrimp rod. Off and on for an hour or so.
    Tied on a different color and worked it on the bottom again just a steady reel... TICK!

Safely released.
    My girlfriend was getting a lot of short bites today on the ghost shrimp. So she decides to hold the rod while she's sitting there instead of proping it on a rock. Proved to be a good idea. She got a good little tug on the line and she set the hook. While she's trying to stand up to fight the fish, the little booger is swimming parallel to shore and dips into a little hole in the rocks. AHHHH!!! with the skunk on the line for her i took over the rod and cranked down on this fish trying to turn his head. He must've figured this would be easier if he would just come out, so i finished off the fight, almost letting him dip into another rock and here comes this guy...

Started to get windy and our meter was running out so we packed it up and went home.
    Great day for me today. Upset about the 2 lost fish but oh well.
    I wasn't able to post pics from a previous report so i thought i'd post them while i'm actually at a computer not my blackberry.

First Halibut, First swimbait fish, First time at 72nd st Jetty 3/13:

Skunk beater on 3/17 :

This place has fish for sure. Go bright or go home lol
    I'm new to plastics and i'm offically addicted now. Next mission.... Girlfriend gets a fish on swimbait
    Thanks for reading !

Tight lines and good luck to everyone!

Ryan

Very nice Ryan!!
    I had to see it to believe it on the Spotties at 72nd pl
    I've seen only 1 spottie caught there in the past and figured that had to be a lucky hookup.
    Nice job!

Thanks for the report. It's good to know I can find spotties closer to home now. I've been reading your reports and it looks like you've been consistently catching fish out of that area. WTG! You've inspired me to break out the float tube and explore new territory. I'm gonna have to give that keylime color a try too. Hmmmm..spring break is just around the corner.

Default .

Thanks for the props gentleman.
    I knew posting a report with no pics would be hard to believe klocked ... Glad I was able to show you I don't lie lol.
    Jay... Let me know how u do. I read that where the bay makes right angle bends has the best current n probbly most productive.
    If u kick arounds those docks take notes so I can row my little raft out there

Default .

Thanks for the props gentleman.
    I knew posting a report with no pics would be hard to believe klocked ... Glad I was able to show you I don't lie lol.
    Jay... Let me know how u do. I read that where the bay makes right angle bends has the best current n probbly most productive.
    If u kick arounds those docks take notes so I can row my little raft out there to the spots u find

good luck
    ryan

Nice job out there Ryan,
    When I was there last, I was only tossing the LC with no love at all. Good to know that there are some spotties there.
    Thanks for the report and pictures,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by ryryk View Post
    ... Glad I was able to show you I don't lie lol.
    Hey, I believed you... but now I REALLY believe you!!
    I don't plan on fishing that area much this coming season, other new areas are on my list to explore before the mlpa shuts them down. But if I do, I'll say hi if I see you there.

Nice spotties. They got some humbolt squid off that jetty a couple years ago.
    DR

Nice days in the harbor! Spotties & Butts!!!!!

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by flyngby View Post
    Nice days in the harbor! Spotties & Butts!!!!!

Steve
    I've caught many flatties and bass off those rocks. My largest spottie was taken on a ghost shrimp and weighed about 2.5lbs. I quit fishing there cause the rats got larger and a bit more agressive.