Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Newport Quick Report-lots of fish, and a weird fish survey

1. Default Newport Quick Report-lots of fish, and a weird fish survey

GF and I fished the jetty for several hours today. We had a blast, caught 25+ fish, nothing massive, but the action was pretty much nonstop. I think I counted six different species altogether, but the number one type was spotties, and daaaaaang, those spotties can fight! They remind me of smallmouth bass, lots of headshaking and drag-burning power in those fish, even the little guys! On ultra-light tackle they were a blast and we didn't even catch any big ones, I can just imagine how strong those would be.
    Caught one new fish I didn't recognize, I'll post the pics up once my camera finishes drying out from a drop in the water :(

We did stop by the little fishing dock in the harbor, it was packed. One guy had 6 rods going at once... a little much, heh. Another guy had two nice spotties he was keeping, meh. Interestingly enough, two girls with official-looking uniforms showed up and started interviewing everyone. Asked each angler how long they were fishing for, how much longer they intended to stay, what kind of fish they caught, how often they fished the area, etc. They had badges that said 'Pacific Fisheries Commission' or something to that extent. They were nice, really polite, but I haven't heard of these fish surveys taking place before. Are they with the MLPA or something similar? They told one of the guys that they had met very few anglers catching halibut, thought they were rare in Newport :)

Quote Originally Posted by carpanglerdude View Post
    We did stop by the little fishing dock in the harbor, it was packed. One guy had 6 rods going at once... a little much, heh. Another guy had two nice spotties he was keeping, meh.
    Probably been reading FNN NPH reports.
    Halibuts rare in NPH, thats news since FNN members seem to have no problem finding them.

DR
    Last edited by DockRat; 03-22-2010 at 07:32 PM. Reason: x

Damn good job in the harbor, what were you using for bait? I fished the dock 2 days in the row in the morning decent bites, my buddy lost a good calico yesterday it made one last dash and wrap in the kelp that was at the bottom of the beam, and yesterday we had 2 legal sandies it was nice to see those guys cruising... one guy with 6 rods huh? you should of report him you can only use 2 rods on the dock... must be those fobby vietnamese or pisas who like to break the rule.

4. Default

We were just using cut pieces of shrimp, I tipped a few microjigs with shrimp, that really worked well.

Haha, yeah, one was blonde

Saw a huge dead pelican, pretty crazy, was fun to watch people walk up on it accidentally and freak out. Looked like it was mummified, probably preserved by all the salt.

The dude at the dock said he fished there all the time, so any regulars will probably see him there again. 5'7'', close cropped black hair, Hispanic (not sure).

Which dock was this at?

From what I have heard, thsoe survey takers are represent an organization that pushes to close fishing, don't talk to them if they are not DFG.

Quote Originally Posted by poxy boggards View Post
    from what i have heard, thsoe survey takers are represent an organization that pushes to close fishing, don't talk to them if they are not dfg.
    danger! Danger! Danger! Danger! Danger!

those spotties are super fun to catch and the bigger ones even funner but yea it does sound suspisious about those 2 girls would suck if they even thought about not letting any 1 fish there

Sounds like a typical great time in the bay. Those spotties always leave ya smiling for sure!
    I like to take advantage of those "survey people" and tell them all kinds of weird fish stories and the incrediable fish counts. In the future........Tell them that you caught 100 exotic species and set them all free!

Quote Originally Posted by Poxy Boggards View Post
    From what I have heard, thsoe survey takers are represent an organization that pushes to close fishing, don't talk to them if they are not DFG.
    I haven't seen those guys yet but I usually see a survey guy out at Silverwood Lake. He has a DFG shirt on.