Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Castiac Lagoon 3-20-2010 Crappie Day!!

Default Castiac Lagoon 3-20-2010 Crappie Day!!

Went to the goon today. Got there around 1:30 afternoon. Hooked up almost right away at one of the good spots. Turned out to be a decent size crappie...about 1.5 lbs I'm guessing. It was bedding and there were 2 or 3 bass swimming around her nest.

Worked my way north and got to another spot. Hooked up after about 10 mins there. Hog she was. Good Fight too. She breached the water 3 times, one of the time she was CLEAR out of the water. 5 lbs + easily. Lost her 10-15 feet from the shore, she spit the hook. 8 hours later and I'm still pissed off lol.

Met CL Smoov and some other guy he was working the lake with, we all tried to nail that spot for about an hour. Fireball floated up and the 3 of us got to talking. CJ Smooth took off, and then about 30 mins later I moved and Fireball walked out and headed home.

walked down to the first spot. Talked with some dude who was fishing with his kids. Sun was setting, and I decided to try and hit up the north spot again. Got 2 bass there. One prob 1.5 lbs, another 1 lb or less.

Fished untill 9 with no bites after 8.

NOTE: If you fish for carp, PM me and I will let you in on a secret that you may or may not know. There was a least 6 DIFFERENT LARGE carp breaking the surface @ dusk. Large fish. I may try to catch them next time I go to the goon.

And now...the goods...

Good Luck Everyone. The next week or so its gonna be a turkey shoot!!
    Last edited by McFingers; 03-20-2010 at 11:14 PM.

It was night meeting you today. I'm glad to see you that caught some bass after losing that big one! No fish at the spot you were going to go to when I was leaving?

Nope, just some HEAVY THICK NASTY weed/sludge stuff and good conversation with a guy named Fred that I met.

Nice job. Looks like a pretty big crappie to me.

Nice fish. Looks like fun. Too bad about the big one, but she got to show you her best stuff, and that's always a treat. I'm guessing that you released the crappie. Otherwise, I think you would have seen that it is actually a male all decked out in his spawning colors. I wonder why they are called black crappie?
    Last edited by Fishbreath; 03-21-2010 at 06:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LuvThymetal View Post
    Nice job. Looks like a pretty big crappie to me.
    Thanks. Oddly enough, I got him drop shotting a 7" Robo. Go Figure...

Quote Originally Posted by Fishbreath View Post
    Nice fish. Looks like fun. Too bad about the big one, but she got to show you her best stuff, and that's always a treat. I'm guessing that you released the crappie. Otherwise, I think you would have seen that it is actually a male all decked out in his spawning colors. I wonder why they are called black crappie?

Yeah I catch and release only on freshwater. salt is a different story... As for the spawning colors I am guessing you mean the green tint to his top half?

Quote Originally Posted by McFingers View Post
    Yeah I catch and release only on freshwater. salt is a different story... As for the spawning colors I am guessing you mean the green tint to his top half?
    He is talking about all the black on him. The males get really dark and black during spawning season. If you check out my older reports, then you will see what they look like normally.

[QUOTE=McFingers;441006]Thanks. Oddly enough, I got him drop shotting a 7" Robo. Go Figure...

Haha wow on a 7" robo ? That's insane dude !! Hopefully ill be at Castaic this weekend.

A 5lb Crappie???????

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky70 View Post
    A 5lb Crappie???????
    I think he was talking about a bass

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast