Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you spool a spinning reel?

Default How do you spool a spinning reel?

For umpteen years I've always got my line spooled at Johnny's in Pasadena ... but nothing available near where I live now ... so have to do it myself.

I seem to recall that you have to turn the spool sideways ... facing the spool on your reel ... and make sure the twist isn't backwards. Then I see a device that clamps on to your rod ... and it's just coming off the end of the spool onto the spinning reel.

Then I recall something about reversing the spool ever so often or 10 cranks or something like that?

I'm thinking that I'll get some Seaguar either invisx or abrasix and have to do it myself which I don't mind ... I just want to do it right.

Any expert advice out there would be GREATLY appreciated ... or if theres a place on this web site ...

Thanks much in advance,

i wrap the line around my wife's neck as tight as i can, then let it rest there for a while before winding.

very important that you wrap it really tight and leave it there for 20 minutes to rest so you don't stress the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny300 View Post
    i wrap the line around my wife's neck as tight as i can, then let it rest there for a while before winding.

very important that you wrap it really tight and leave it there for 20 minutes to rest so you don't stress the line.
    Rubidoux!?
    I used to work at the glass shop over there on Mission. I cried when I went back a couple years later and saw the Mexican food place, on the right, before you get to the river, had been torn down. They had the coldest beers around and the best chicken enchiladas.

Sorry for thread jack.

Quote Originally Posted by billy b View Post
    For umpteen years I've always got my line spooled at Johnny's in Pasadena ... but nothing available near where I live now ... so have to do it myself.

I seem to recall that you have to turn the spool sideways ... facing the spool on your reel ... and make sure the twist isn't backwards. Then I see a device that clamps on to your rod ... and it's just coming off the end of the spool onto the spinning reel.

Then I recall something about reversing the spool ever so often or 10 cranks or something like that?

I'm thinking that I'll get some Seaguar either invisx or abrasix and have to do it myself which I don't mind ... I just want to do it right.

Any expert advice out there would be GREATLY appreciated ... or if theres a place on this web site ...

Thanks much in advance,
    I just drop my line on the ground and start reeling it in. I've never had line twist doing that.

Here's what I use:
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te..._requestid=332

The Berkley line spooling station works great for me. Before I got this though I used to use one of those thick phone books, opened it up to about the middle of the book, laid the line inside, then closed the book. The book keeps tension on the line so you don't have to hold the line as you fill the reel's spool.

Hmmmm... Im no expert but spinning reels I usually load up myself. I just use a pencil or such object and apply pressure by hand and spool the reel. I didn't know there was a science to it.

99% of the time just spool it on with the spool of line on the ground with the label facing up. 99% thats the right direction so you do not get line twist. if your doing it the wrong way you'll know when u stop reeling and your line bunches together around the guide. if that happens just flip the spool over and keep going. another way that works great is by taking your spool of line, already tied on to your reel, and throw it in the water and start winding.

Stick a pencil through the spool and have the wife hold the pencil on both sides of the spool. Grab the line with your fionger to apply tension. For spinning reels be sure the line comes off the bottom of the spool, for baitcasters have the line come off the top of the spool.

SoCal ... how does the stripper work? And is it reliable? The reports are iffy I think

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast