Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: 72nd st jetty

Default 72nd st jetty

went down to the jetty today with ghost shrimp and swimbaits. it was 2:30PM when I for there. First I tossed out
    A ghost shrimp n set my rod down. A minute or two later as I'm still getting settled I get a great opportunity to catch a fish. By the time I could pick up the rod n set the hook it had let go. Darn!
    No more hits on the ghosties.
    I was working a small area on the rocks with swimbaits the whole time. Started out with the keylime 3" BH with a 1/4oz chart. Lead head ....the same combo that got me a short halibut and 2 spotties last week.
    Only a nibble or two on that color.
    Then I noticed it was over cast a bit. Switched to a dark pattern with silver flakes and a 1/4oz glow in the dark head.
    First cast I let it sink and sit. Started reeling ... I can feel the bottom pretty good. Then I lost contact so I let it sink back down. Started to reel again and got that Tick tick BOOM!
    Unfortunately it was nothing of much size but a 10" spottie. took a quick pic n let him go.
    Skunk avoided!

I just started experimenting with plastics n man so far its really fun!
    No pics sorry I can't post from my blackberry.

tight lines

great report ...keep it up...nice job beating the skunk..

Good job with the plastics ryryk,
    It's only a metter of time when you get that legal with em.
    Thanks for the short report,
    Robert

Aren't plastics a blast? Good for you and I hope you keep it up. I remember a time when Scampis and Scroungers were the only real choices unless you picked up some sort of fresh water bass plastics. Things have changed so much since the early days when I first started and I often wonder how many more fish I could have caught with todays technology and choices in gear. I can't imagine not having some sort of plastics, or even Gulp baits for that matter, when I go fishing!

By the way I have asked this before on another thread and I really want to get to the bottom of this once and for all! Is the 72nd St jetty those twin set of rocks at the very end of ocean blvd. or is it somewhere else? Whatever that spot is at the end there if that is it I fished that place quite often back in the day. It's where I actually hooked and landed a 15lb lobster once believe it or not! Anyway I just gotta know the answer here once and for all!

Yup that's the one.
    Plastics were intimidating to me a first I'm very glad I gave them a try.

do any of u know where a good spot(s) in the alamitos bay is to throw swimmies by docks n things without tresspassing or running into conflict?
    I know nph is where its at but I'd like to get my practice in at a closer location

PM me some ideas
    thanks
    Ryan