Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Calcutta CTE 401

Default Calcutta CTE 401

What do you guys think of the Calcutta 401? What rod would you match it with? What fish would you target with this reel? Tuna, yellow tail?

Thanks
    Eddie

anything huge! strippers at the upper lake LMB at the lagoon or prymid! you could use it for the ocean but i would recomend it for fresh water. for the rod id recomend g-loomis swimbait rod heavy fast action 7ft our group throws it we cant get enoughf of it . or anything shamino you wont regret it

15 to 20lb test would be my recommendation. This reel will also handle the salt just as well as any other. The CTE 400 size is a very versatile reel and can be used for many applications from salt to fresh. What are you looking to do with it Eddie?

Quote Originally Posted by lalo56 View Post
    What do you guys think of the Calcutta 401? What rod would you match it with? What fish would you target with this reel? Tuna, yellow tail?

Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie,
    Last year I used that reel CTE 401 to catch Yellowfin Tuna, it's strong enough for the job, but if you want to use it for the salt (big fish) you need to change the handle to live bait one, it gives you more leverage.
    I personally use it for casting big bait and match it with a custom 8ft heavy/ fast action rod. It is a nice combo.

KPN.

Quote Originally Posted by RiPsTheLMB View Post
    anything huge! strippers at the upper lake LMB at the lagoon or prymid! you could use it for the ocean but i would recomend it for fresh water. for the rod id recomend g-loomis swimbait rod heavy fast action 7ft our group throws it we cant get enoughf of it . or anything shamino you wont regret it
    I am all about targeting strippers! LOL

You guys like using linewinders for tuna fishing??

No offense, but give me an open face reel any day of the week for pelagics.

I use my 400 te with the power handle for structure fishing for bass and i have it matched with a seeker inshore 809.
    And for top water bass fishing ill switch the handle back and use it for big swimbaits and slugs. I got 65 spectra with a short top shot of 25 or 30 flour with same rod.. works great..

Im planning on getting the CTE 401 and the Avet JX 2 speed LH... Every year i will add something to my gear. Thanks guys.

I spoild myself every year!