Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Phenix or G-Loomis?

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    1. if you have the budget, I would go custom. Built around your reel for balance and casting distance. Factory rods, no matter how good, are built on a general template.

2. For factory rods, I'd currently take Phenix Iron Feather. However, they are not that light really but do have a nice crisp response relative to other similar rods due to their titanium guides.

There're various claims about the quality of the blank. Bottom line - I am not impressed by claims but go on measured specs. I think the blanks are good but did not strike me as engineered to maximize performance out of the material as some of the material went to visual presentation.

3. You put titanium micro guides on the Loomis GLX on a custom and I believe it will outperform the Iron Feather in terms of power to weight ratio. It's a matter of physics.

So in summary:
    1. Go custom.
    2. If you can't or won't go custom, go Phenix Iron Feather. Be aware that there seem to be no warranty on it - meaning if it breaks for whatever reason, you pay $120 or something to replace it regardless of whether you abused it or due to manufacturing defect. I could be wrong on this but that's what I was told.

UL

Thanks UL good info man!

Trout 1

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    1. if you have the budget, I would go custom. Built around your reel for balance and casting distance. Factory rods, no matter how good, are built on a general template.

2. For factory rods, I'd currently take Phenix Iron Feather. However, they are not that light really but do have a nice crisp response relative to other similar rods due to their titanium guides.

There're various claims about the quality of the blank. Bottom line - I am not impressed by claims but go on measured specs. I think the blanks are good but did not strike me as engineered to maximize performance out of the material as some of the material went to visual presentation.

3. You put titanium micro guides on the Loomis GLX on a custom and I believe it will outperform the Iron Feather in terms of power to weight ratio. It's a matter of physics.

So in summary:
    1. Go custom.
    2. If you can't or won't go custom, go Phenix Iron Feather. Be aware that there seem to be no warranty on it - meaning if it breaks for whatever reason, you pay $120 or something to replace it regardless of whether you abused it or due to manufacturing defect. I could be wrong on this but that's what I was told.

UL
    So I am assuming that you have fished the Iron Feather Moses?

The rods are pretty damn nice when compared to loomis they hold up pretty well I work at a tackle shop we sale both and of course behind the recent buzz we sale more phenix then loomis, they are both nice and in their own ways appeal to me but I do like the fact that the phenix rods keep changing every model has a new look which is pretty cool and different. I would make the decision based on the action you like meaning which rod fits your individual needs.
    the guys that were claiming the company at the pay lakes have been cut off they no longer have any ties with the company as even the lake staffers have complained about them.
    Last edited by genensd; 04-08-2010 at 11:12 AM.

Couldn't find the "Sav-on Tackle" website ... can anybody help?

Thx mucho
    Last edited by billy b; 04-11-2010 at 09:31 AM.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567